Cannot boot after migrating to new Mac

As I mentioned, I have an old Mac (2015) and an new Mac (2017).

I think the case that you have told me right before is not my case.
So, what should I do next?

I’ll try and replicate in our lab. Can you look in System Profiler and give me the model identifiers for both Macs?

tim

exactly the problem here.
I try to migrate a win10Pro partition from a MacBookPro late2014/baught in 2015 to a brand new IMacPro… result: inaccessible bootdevice !
I repeated the hints from this and other threads (EFI…) nothing worked.
I deleted the non working bootcamppartition 2 times and recreated it as mentioned in the description… no success.
In fact , it sounds to me like windows is missing some drivers for the SATA.Controller the internal SSD-bootdevice is connected to.
Interestingly ,it can boot , and therefor access the bootdevice, 80% of the bootprocedure. As soon as W10 tries to initialize the real UI or some basic devices …it fails.
keep in mind , that the hardware/controller has changed between old and new Mac (same as all the other people here around) and as always, if windows does not know about the ne device .it cannot load the drivers out of it’s database.
I tried then to install a W10 from scratch…but…now the bootcamp assistant fails in creating the partition…in fact he is creating it, but raises an error that he cannot !!!..
…unfortunately I cannot donwload a proper most recent bootcamp-supportdisk itself , to extract the necessary win-drivers…to include them into the old W10 partition before cloning it (that would probably help)… but without the bootcampassistant there seems to be no way these days apple allows that…and the assistant fails (same as other people here)…

reinstalling all of the OSX including the programms is absolutely no option because of the licenses.

So what can I / we do ?

I tried then to install a W10 from scratch…but…now the bootcamp assistant fails in creating the partition…in fact he is creating it, but raises an error that he cannot !!!..
…unfortunately I cannot donwload a proper most recent bootcamp-supportdisk itself , to extract the necessary win-drivers…to include them into the old W10 partition before cloning it (that would probably help)… but without the bootcampassistant there seems to be no way these days apple allows that…and the assistant fails (same as other people here)…

reinstalling all of the OSX including the programms is absolutely no option because of the licenses.

So what can I / we do ?

I can lend a bit of light here, having just worked through the partition problem with Apple Support on the iMac Pro. The problem lies somewhere in Apple’s new APFS file system. Long story short, to create the partition using Boot Camp Assistant after you start getting this partition error requires backing up your macOS install, erasing the disk and reinstalling MacOS. Create a single admin account and do not sign in with an apple id. Immediately run boot camp assistant, create the boot camp partition and install Win 10. It is possible that the Boot Camp drivers will not install after your Win 10 install, I’ll cover that in a moment.

Once you have Win 10 installed, boot back into MacOS and restore your Users, Apps, Setting & Files & Folders from your backup, remove the admin account and you should be in business.

If the Boot Camp Drivers do not install (evidence would be no Boot Camp Control panel in Win 10 & no scrolling from the Magic Mouse), then in MacOS open boot camp assistant again and download the Windows Support Software by choosing it under the “Actions” menu item. Once that is done, copy the files inside the WindowsSupport folder to a flash drive, boot back into Win 10 and run the setup.exe file inside the Boot Camp folder.

Hope this helps.

Yours
Vern

Here is the required information.

OS (both)

macOS High Sierra

Old Mac, Early 2015

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP121.0171.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.28f7

New Mac, 2017

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP142.0167.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.44f1

Would you give me your lab results or solutions?

Any updates or advices? I’m suffering from the exactly same issue. I’ve tried to migrate from 2015 MacBook Pro to 2017 MacBook Pro (3-inch, 2017). Everything looked fine until I tried to reboot my mac by using bootcamp disk. When booting windows, it shows ‘INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE’.

It definitely seems related to the mass storage driver in Windows. Is it Windows 10? You can try booting up Windows in a VM and reinstalling the Boot Camp drivers.

It is Windows 10. As you suggested, I will try booting up Windows in a VM. By the way, did it work in your lab test? Would you give me your lab results or solutions?

I have not completed testing yet, but will post my results when I do.

tim

FYI, I booted up Windows in a VM (vmware fusion), and re-installed some of Boot Camp drivers in a VM. I couldn’t install all the drivers since boot camp installer doesn’t work with a “This software is not compatible with this machine type” message.

So, I tested the driver one by one and re-installed the driver individually if it’s applicable. Unfortunately it didn’t work. I can boot up windows in a VM but not in Boot Camp.

You mentioned that it seemed related to the mass storage driver in Windows. Do you have any recommended driver or guide to re-install proper mass storage driver for winclone bootcamp image?

I’ve been waiting for the results of the tests. Thanks.

I am having this issue restoring a windows 10 image from a late 2013 MacBook Pro onto a 2017 MacBook Pro.

The boot camp partition is bootable via VMware but I get the same error mentioned above when trying to natively boot windows 10 image restore.

I verified the that the format is “win” and made sure the image could be restored onto the original machine without any issues. I also installed a fresh install and that booted without any issues as well but need to restore my backup.

I also tried forcing EFI but that had no change impact in resolving the issue. Has anybody been able to get around this issue, even with using other software?

This happens to me as well. I’ve been able to boot via VM (VMWare Fusion).

I’ve also installed all the drivers for bootcamp on this VM manually, each on.

I still get the ‘INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

completely stuck. Wondering if Winclone is problematic and doesn’t work – I bought this with the whole idea of closing an existing image and creating a Bootcamp version of it.

I’ve also tried booting EFI etc.

Gary

Here I have the same issue, but migrating from my old SSD hard drive (MacBook Pro 13’ Early 2015) to a new OWC Aura Pro 480GB. Same message ‘INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE’.

I have the same OWC drive and it booted after migrating Windows 10. Was it Windows 10 that you restored?

tim

Any updates about migrating from old macbook to new one? I’ve been waiting for the results of the tests. Thanks.