Expand Boot Camp Partition - iMac 27; Mojave 10.14.1; 3TB Fusion

Can I use Winclone 7 to expand my Boot Camp partition?

I currently have a 132GB Boot Camp (NTFS) partition and 2.99TB Mac (APFS) partition on my Late 2013 27" iMac. iMac is running 10.14.1 and I can boot into Windows just fine. Only glitch is that the Boot Camp utility on Windows won’t let me restart in OS-X automatically. I have to hold down the “Option” key at startup and choose the Mac drive.

I need a MUCH LARGER Boot Camp partition, but I’m not sure if the posted directions apply to Mojave and APFS.

Can anyone who’s done this successfully point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

The issue with the option key and boot camp utility is lack of support for APFS for that utility. Apple has updated it for the new Macs, but not seen support yet for earlier Macs.

As for APFS, Apple fully supports it on everything but the 2012 iMacs with 3TB fusion drives (since the 2012 iMacs legacy boot). All iMacs after that support EFI booting which doesn’t have that limitation.

tim

Thanks for the reply.

I was aware of the Option key situation.

Any help with resizing up my Boot Camp partition using APFS?

You should be able to create a new Boot Camp partition and restore a winclone image to it. Windows and newer Macs support having larger Boot Camp partitions. Is that what you are asking?

tim

Sorry - I didn’t make it clear that my question is whether there are updated instructions on backing up a Windows 10 install and resizing a Boot Camp partition on a Mac with Mojave using Winclone 7. Every set of instructions I’ve found so far look like a much earlier version of Winclone, and do not address the Mojave APFS file system and the changes to Disk Utility and Boot Camp Assistant in Mojave (OS-X 10.14.1).

Has anyone successfully done this (expanded a Boot Camp partition on a Mojave Mac using Winclone 7) and posted the instructions?

The Support article from April 2017 https://support.twocanoes.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002039606-Resizing-a-Bootcamp-Partition-with-Winclone has directions for Windows 7 and Mac OS-X 10.7.2 and the Support article from January 2016 (https://support.twocanoes.com/hc/en-us/articles/202512883-Resize-an-Existing-Boot-Camp-Partition-) is for Windows 8 and Mac OS-X 10.8.3

Disk Utility will not let me delete the old Boot Camp partition, nor will it allow me to create a new MS-DOS partition (errors on both attempts) and Boot Camp Assistant on Mojave won’t proceed past the first window with another error message about partitioning the APFS drive. (Apologies - I didn’t get a screen capture or photo of any of the error messages)

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mark P.