Restore Data Hangs

Recently had to re-image an iMac from OS X 10.10.5 to macOS 10.12.5. System was setup with MS Windows 7 Pro in Bootcamp previously. Attempting to restore the *.winclone image to this system w/ Winclone 5.7.6 and it hangs at “Restore Data”.

The progress bar indicates progress at first, and Activity Monitor shows activity, but after about 20% all progress and activity stops. I’ve let run for hours and nothing. SIP has been disabled on this system for other reasons so we’re good there.

Any advice?

Also curious to know what the upgrade path from 5.x to 6.x is.

I would recommend upgrading to Winclone 6. You can submit info about upgrades here:

tim

Tim,

Many thanks for the quick response. Upgraded to Winclone 6.1.9 and attempted the process again. Seemed to be going well for about 5 minutes but then failed with the following error. Attempted via both an Admin account as well as root just because.

“Restore Error / Error executing ntfsclone”

Any further advice?

Thanks.

• Geoff

Open Console in the Utilities folder when running the restore, and you should see more information about the error. You can also try switching to block-based imaging in the preferences and create a new image.

tim

Tim,

Took your advice. Please see attached for further info. Also recreated the BootCamp image from another Mac in our Training Room (all are same spec) and still no joy with the restore.

Finally ended up replacing this and another system as we couldn’t be down 2 systems on the MS Windows side in our Training Room. While these systems were different specs WinClone restored our BootCamp image w/o problems.

Would still be interested in determining why I could not restore MS Windows 7 Pro to this particular Mac.

Thanks for all your assistance.

• Geoff

Did you try disabling SIP? Also, resetting the PRAM sometimes helps.

tim