Restoring To an Image EFI error

Running an iMac 18,2 OSX 10.12.6 Trying to restore a clone to an image. WinClone 6.1.4 begins well, goes on to 80 % complete (% = an estimate from the progress bar). It then stops and sends an alert stating “Error copying EFI file” WC then also reverts the progress bar to about 30% completion at that point.
The machine has CSR disabled. Combing through the forum I found multiple “Restoring to an Image”, however none deal with an “Error copying EFI File”.
Please advise.

Since it is a newer iMac, I suspect that it is a block size issue. When the cloning completes, the EFI files are copied from the Windows partition to the EFI partition. If the Windows partition cannot be mounted and those files found, you may get an error like that. Do see any files on the Windows partition? Did you create the image with “Block based” set in the preferences on a different Mac or is it restoring to the same Mac?

tim

Tim:
The image DID contain 7 file folders with three of them having locks on them in the Window partition.
No, “not block based” because I saw the “less compatible”. Should I try Block Based? The Clone was made on the same Mac a few weeks ago.

At least we are past the other issues. I was surprised to see the ‘Restore’ progress bar “snap back” from ~ 80% to about 30 % when I got the alert.

tperfitt
September 15
Since it is a newer iMac, I suspect that it is a block size issue. When the cloning completes, the EFI files are copied from the Windows partition to the EFI partition. If the Windows partition cannot be mounted and those files found, you may get an error like that. Do see any files on the Windows partition? Did you create the image with “Block based” set in the preferences on a different Mac or is it restoring to the same Mac?

tim

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Tim:

Since I sent the previous email I have done more checking.

I continually get alerts of one sort or another whether I go “blockbased” or not. No restores to even another drive.

So I thought to begin again and make a new clone to play with.
I’m on the iMac 18,2. OS 10.12.3 W/C 6.1.4. I also have the CSRutil disabled. I have also disconnected all external HDs.
I am NOT able to make a new clone now. I get this: “error executing ntfsclone”. (I can send screenshots)

I then went to my MacBook and had no problem making a clone, again using the W/C 6.1.4.
I am beginning to think that the newer iMac and the Fusion Drive system is the problem??!! What do you think?

MH

Tim:
The image DID contain 7 file folders with three of them having locks on them in the Window partition.
No, “not block based” because I saw the “less compatible”. Should I try Block Based? The Clone was made on the same Mac a few weeks ago.

At least we are past the other issues. I was surprised to see the ‘Restore’ progress bar “snap back” from ~ 80% to about 30 % when I got the alert.

tperfitt
September 15

tim

We have done testing on the new iMacs, and it worked fine. I’ll need to get the logs. Can you grab the logs by going to Help->Archive Logs, then emailing the logs that get created on the desktop to support@twocanoes.com?

thanks!

tim

Tim:
I am unable to send logs as there are no logs on the desktop after failure. see images attached. “Archive Logs” only takes me to an empty Desktop.

I have not even been able to make a new Clone. Here are the desktop images of what is going on. (I wanted to make a new beginning)
[BTW: I have tested Winclone on my MacBook and all appears to be fine. I moved (copied the clone) from the MB to the iMac and there, using the iMac Winclone was able to restore the MacBook Winclone to an image as well as an external HD.]

Here is what I get while trying to make a new clone (with no logs):

tperfitt
September 18
We have done testing on the new iMacs, and it worked fine. I’ll need to get the logs. Can you grab the logs by going to Help->Archive Logs, then emailing the logs that get created on the desktop to support@twocanoes.com?

thanks!

tim

We are testing Winclone 6.1.5, which has some improvements on the log functionality. I hope to be posting a beta today.

tim

In the meantime I suspect that there is a problem with the Bootcamp Partition, even though it was made with Bootcamp Assistant. I don’t have too many things yet installed on there so it will not be a real chore.
I do know that there is no real problem with WinClone 6 other than it does not deliver a log to the desktop. I saw it work very well on the MacBook.

tperfitt
September 19
We are testing Winclone 6.1.5, which has some improvements on the log functionality. I hope to be posting a beta today.

tim

Reinstalled Win10 in Bootcamp. Was able to clone the new install with no further issues. Bad Windows Bootcamp partition.

In the meantime I suspect that there is a problem with the Bootcamp Partition, even though it was made with Bootcamp Assistant. I don’t have too many things yet installed on there so it will not be a real chore.
I do know that there is no real problem with WinClone 6 other than it does not deliver a log to the desktop. I saw it work very well on the MacBook.

tperfitt
September 19

tim

I posted a new thread with this same question, which is probably the best place to respond. I’ll leave this here just in case someone sees this and not the new thread. If you do, please respond in that new thread. Thanks.

Here’s original post: I’m having a similar problem. When I try to transfer a bootcamp partition from a Late 2014 Mac mini to Late 2018 Mac mini I get the error message saying it couldn’t mount the EFI partition. I’ve seen references to AV programs causing a problem. I have no AV program on the Mac side, but the backup I’m trying to restore does contain a WebRoot AV. It was not clear to me if the issue with AV software causing problems was on the host Mac or within the Bootcamp partition being restored. It would seem unlikely that an AV program within the Bootcamp partition would be the problem, but I want to ask to make sure. Thanks. – Carl