WInclone 7.1.2 - No success with Windows MDT deployment

I was thrilled when Winclone 7 advertised the ability to use WinPE boot to kick off a Windows MDT-based installation of Windows 10 on a Mac’s bootcamp partition. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get it to work entirely after following the directions (WinPE and MDT instructions). I’m wondering if anyone’s had luck with it?

What I’m seeing is that after using the Winclone-generated package that makes the Boot Camp partition and copies the relevant items to the partition, the boot into WinPE works fine, I step through the initial items to get to the task sequence chooser, choose a task sequence to install Windows 10 Enterprise. But during the task sequence, the “Install Operating System” step fails with an error message:

FAILURE (Err): 53: Copy File: C:\MININT\unattend.xml to C:\WINDOWS\Panther\Unattend.xml - File not found
FAILURE (5627): 2: Run DISM.exe
Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005
Failed to run the action: Install Operating System.
Unknown error (Error: 000015FB; Source Unknown)
The execution of the group (Install) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action failed.
Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)
Failed to the the last action: Install Operating System. Execution of task sequence failed.
Unknown error (Error: 000015FB; Source: Unknown)
Task Sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail
Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005
SetNamedSecurityInfo() failed.
SetObjectOwner() failed. 0x80070005.
RegQueryValueExW is unsuccessful for Software\Microsoft\SMS\Task Sequence, SMSTSEndProgram
GetTsRegValue() is unsuccessful. 0x80070002
Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005

I’ve even whittled down the task sequence to just be the Install Operating System step and still get the error:

FAILURE (Err): 53: Copy File: C:\MININT\unattend.xml to C:\WINDOWS\Panther\Unattend.xml - File not found
FAILURE (5627): 2: Run DISM.exe

, which seems to be the crucial error that makes the rest bomb.

I’m using the latest Windows MDT and ADK on the system to generate the LiteTouchPE_x64.iso and -.wim files as per the Winclone 7 supplied instructions.

Any ideas? I’d be super-grateful. Thanks!

We have done lots of testing and restores, as have a bunch of customers, and it has been working fine. It seems the issue has hit other folks imaging PC’s:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e915e430-d74d-4621-81bc-af8be9438fb5/deployment-failure-thick-image-5627-dismexe-mdt-2012-update-1?forum=mdt

This seems to point to the fact that the deployment share isn’t getting updates so the file isn’t found:

tim

Working fine here as far as the WinClone process goes with MDT. If you’re getting to anything MDT related after boot (Task Sequence selection, etc) then the issue is with your task sequence or MDT setup itself, not with WinClone.

1 Like