unable To write EFI files

what is the model identifier of the MacBook Pro?

This is … Thanks really Tim :slight_smile: !

It is definitely able to EFI boot, so it should have worked. Not sure what else to try.

Yes , but I have always this blue screen …

so nothing to do except all erase and Winclone in the trash ?

You can get a refund for Winclone by going here: http://twocanoes.com/refunds/

Winclone typically works fine, but I’m not sure what else to try in your case. Sorry.

tim

Hi Tim

I erased my bootcamp drive and tried once again with the last version of Winclone .
The screen is different …Maybe could you help me in this case!
Thanks

Marc

It looks like the master boot record was not written correctly. Do you have any security software installed? Antivirus?

tim

Hi Tim

My only Antivirus is avast …And I dinstalled it to use Winclone .
I don t have other security software installed normally . Firewall maybe ?

Thanks a lot

Marc

Hi Tim. This thread is a bit concerning to me. I’m a brand new customer with pretty much the identical situation that Ananke ended up in by the end of this thread. I have the newest iMac 2019 w Intel i9 and Radeon Pro 48. The screen imaged in the last post by Ananke is exactly what I am dealing with.

I used Bootcamp to make a 1TB Windows partition on a 2TB Mac disk, which worked. I then sought backup options and found Winclone. I made an initial backup and then started adding to Windows. At some point, something went awry with Windows, so i used Winclone to restore the image, which seemed to work, as far as I could tell. I was able to reboot to Windows and went back to adding to it.

Then at some point, I noticed that the Windows disk was reporting being over 90% full, and I noticed that the disk/partition size was being reported as about the size of the image I had initially saved with Winclone, even though it was taken from a 1TB partition. Booting back into Mac, the Windows partition still looked abnormal, as though it were just a partition within the larger disk on which it was located, which DID show 1TB total, but which was not available to the Bootcamp installation, as it was originally.

So I tried re-imaging again with Winclone, using the same image as the first time. At first I tried re-sizing the original partition as you showed in your video, using Disk Utility. It would not allow me to re-size the 1TB partition, due to filetype, which was NTFS. So I reverted to the single original Mac volume and started over, re-creating the 1TB Windows drive, and using exFat format. Then I used Winclone to re-install the Windows image to the drive, and it reported success. I could see that it now looked normal, with a 250GB installation on a 1TB drive.

However, when I re-started, pressing Option, and clicked on the Windows disk, it quickly reported a boot failure, as in the image just above. I inserted a Win10 install USB and it allowed to to boot from that, but the repair function could not locate the Windows image to work with it. I have write access to that disk, if there is something I can do to make it bootable, but I have not seen anything here about doing that.

I originally found this thread by researching the issue Ananke brought up about:

"I do not understand the procedure explained in the article:(
“select your Windows volume under sources. "
What is “sources " ? where or how can I find it ?
I can not find the button” make EFI Bootable …”

I had the same problem in understanding this instruction, and how to carry it out on the iMac, although it would seem that this is not the problem anyway, as it seems to be EFI bootable. But I would still like to know where and how to access this setting.

Anyway, here I am with the same screen with which Ananke was left hanging at the end of this thread…

Hope you can help somehow.

John

Hi John,

Sorry you are having issues. Let’s investigate a bit and see what is going on. Can you post the log from the restore? you can send it to support@twocanoes.com if you don’t want to post it in the forums. Winclone 8 has a log button so it should be easy to access the log.

Also, please run these commands and give back the output (in Terminal):

diskutil list

Did you use change the to use block based imaging or WIM (file) based imaging in the preference?

Also, there is a “expand filesystem” under Tools. The expand operation should happen automatically at the end of the restore but if it fails, it can can cause the issue you are seeing. Try expanding the filesystem and see if that helps. The expand option only shows if you have block-based imaging turned on in the prefs.

tim