unable To write EFI files

Hi :slight_smile:

I own a MacBook Pro , OS 10.14.5 and I did a clone of my bootcamp partition with Winclone 7.3.4 because I wanted to erase my computer .
All worked fine .
I put a new OS 10.14.5 on my computer , did a new bootcamp partition , with « bootcamp assistant « and a windows 10 image . All worked fine .

Then I wanted to use Winclone to restore my old bootcamp to the new one …But at the end I had the error message « winclone is unable to write the EFI files « . I tried another time , but always the same message …
Can someone tell me what’s wrong and how to fix it ?

Thank really

Marc

Sure. This article addresses the issue:

tim

Thanks really Tim !
My bootcamp disk location is disk0s3
So I Wrote diskutil mount disk0s3 in my terminal …
This is the answer :
Last login: Mon May 20 11:57:00 on ttys000

MBP-de-marc:~ mducasse$ diskutil mount disk0s3

Volume BOOTCAMP on disk0s3 mounted

MBP-de-marc:~ mducasse$

But no EFI disk appears on my macBook 's desktop after doing that …
Can you tell me where is my mistake ?

Thanks really

I desintalled my anti virus software and once again restored my Winclone partition to my Bootcamp Disk … Same thing " Unable to write EFI files " .
But I Don’y understand the lit you gave me above tells:
The EFI partition is MS-DOS (FAT) formatted, and should be mountable and writeable in macOS.

however, the first thing winclone does during the restore is to format my bootcamp partition in NTFS ; so it’s normal that the EFI files can not be written if they are MS-DOS (FAT) formatted ?

What can I do ?..

Thank you !

Hello :slight_smile:

My problem is always the same … I did what you told me with the terminal , but nothing happens and no EFI disk appears on my macBook 's desktop after doing that …
I desintalled my anti virus software and once again restored my Winclone partition to my
Bootcamp Disk … Same thing " Unable to write EFI files " .
and so when I try to boot on my Bootcamp partition , windows start but always launch the repair process, which never ends and asks to restart. If I start again, the repair process starts again and so on …

What can I do ?

Thanks really for your help

Is disk0s3 the EFI partition? It is usually the first slice, or disk0s1.

tim

disk0s3 is my Bootcamp partition . That s why I used it to follow your instructions . I send you a copy of my tests in the terminal’s windows … But never an EFI disk appeared on my desktop …
What can I do ?
Thank you very much

Please tell me what to do , I’ m lost :frowning:

You need to put ‘sudo’ in front of the mount:

sudo diskutil mount disk0s1

tim

Hi Tim

Thanks really ! this time all worked … Image successfully restored !
But when I tried to boot on my bootcamp partition I had this new error …
What can I do ?

Thank you !

MarcIMG_3931

no one can help me ? :frowning:

You are close. What year of MacBook Pro is it? Try changing between EFI and legacy booting modes:

tim

Hi Tim

I do not understand the procedure explained in the article:(
“select your Windows volume under sources. "
What is “sources " ? where or how can I find it ?
I can not find the button” make EFI Bootable …”

Tha,ks a lot for your help !!:slight_smile:
Marc

This is probably because the new drive was formatted as MBR rather than GPT:

tim

Thanks Tim .
But I don’t think so … I made the bootcamp partition with bootcamp assistant ; not with disk utility . So I think that bootcamp assistant formatted well the disk …
What’s your advice ? …

Hi Tim

Maybe I ve to make it refi bootable , but I told you “select your Windows volume under sources. "
What is “sources " ? where or how can I find it ?
I can not find the button” make EFI Bootable …”

Thanks for your help

Hi Tim
ok , after long research I found the settings to switch between EFI & Legacy … your article could have stipulated that IUploading: IMG_4138 - copie.jpg… should use winclone …
If I make bootcamps legacy bootable , my computer don’t find the bootcamp disk when I restart …
If I make bootcamp EFI Bootable I always get this screen when I boot on bootcamp …
Thanks to help me to find a solution … it’s been 3 weeks that I try to use Bootcamp …

Thanks
Marc

Hi Tim

can you help me please :slight_smile: what can I do … We can see on the picture I sent to you that my disk is GUID Partition … and there’s always the blue screen I sent you above …
Thanks really for your help
Marc

Ok , so no reply …
I can erase my backup winclone, I guess there is no solution to my problem?