Windows Mount Resolution Error

Hi,

I recently bought Winclone 8 to clone my Bootcamp partition.

I had no problem to make the image but when I want to restore the image on the new computer I receive this error “An error occurred when trying to determine the Windows mount point. Please the log for information.”

When I click the Log button, it is empty.

Both machines are same new iMacs. The “old” one has fusion drive and the “new” one has SSD. Both running Catalina.
Also, I disable sip, tried with fat32, exfat but always it ended up with the same result.

Thank you for your help.

How did you create the Boot Camp partition? You should use Disk Utility and create a FAT32 partition on the new SSD.

tim

I used Disk Utility to create it and I have tried with FAT32 and ExFat.

Try rebooting after creating the partition. macOS reorders the drive numbers on boot. We account for that reordering, but it might be the issue if it is not done correctly.

tim

Hi Tim,

I have also already tried rebooting after making the new FAT32 partition with Disk utility…

That error appears at the end of the process.

I am also having this same issue and tried both FAT32 and ExFAT. I also tried rebooting directly after partitioning my drive. Nothing seems to be working. The following are my errors…

2020-04-07T20:23:22-05:00:Copying EFI Files, 91.000000% complete
2020-04-07T20:23:24-05:00:source device is file:///dev/disk1s3
2020-04-07T20:23:26-05:00:Helper tool error: Windows Mount Resolution Error
2020-04-07T20:23:27-05:00:Error Error Domain=com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper Code=-1 “Windows Mount Resolution Error” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Windows Mount Resolution Error, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=An error occurred when trying to determine the Windows mount point. Please check the log for more information}
2020-04-07T20:23:27-05:00:Setting the system to allow sleep…

The initial format doesn’t matter since Winclone will reformat to NTFS during restore (the initial file format is mark the volume as being available). Do you see all the restored Windows files when booting into macOS and looking at the bootcamp partition? If so, try switching between EFI and Legacy booting:

https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/switch-between-legacy-and-efi-mode/

tim

I encountered this same exact error as well.

Error Domain=com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper Code=-1 “Windows Mount Resolution Error” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Windows Mount Resolution Error, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=An error occurred when trying to determine the Windows mount point. Please check the log for more information}

My setup is a iMac 5k 2017 with 3tb fusion drive(source) and samsung x5(destination).

I read your previous post. I have created my clone and need to apply it to the external drive. Can you explain what the difference is in EFI vs Legacy and which is recommenced to use?

I wrote this up here:

I has a section on both EFI and legacy booting that should help explain.

As for this error:

This is caused by Winclone mounting the boot camp partition and then trying to find out where it was mounted. Either macOS is not returning a mount point or the disk was not able to be mounted (due to a blocksize mismatch or other reason).

tim

Same issue and exact same log as Nateman above. Any resolution to this problem?
I am on a MacBook Pro 10 gen with macOS Catalina 10.15.5

Can you give a bit more detail:

Can you give a bit more information? For instance:

1. Type of Mac for both the source and the destination if they are different. You can find the Mac type under the Apple Menu->About this Mac under.
  2. What version of Winclone you are using.
  3. What version of Windows you are using.
  4. Are you migrating to an external drive? If so, what is the type of drive and how are you connecting it? (USB, Firewire, etc).
  5. Does the Windows volume mount on the Mac desktop?
  6. Does the Windows volume appear in Disk Utility (located in the Utilities folder)?
  7. Did you try the troubleshooting at https://support.twocanoes.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003306566-Troubleshooting-Windows-Booting-after-Winclone-image-restore?

Hi,

I recently bought Winclone 8 to clone my bootcamp partition of my iMac to an external SSD (Used on the same iMac juste moved the Bootcamp to the SSD) and i have also the same problem, i lost two days of trying all solutions and different partition type but still have the same problem “An error occurred when trying to determine the Windows mount point. Please the log for information.”

When I try the volume to volume cloning i have this error

So i tried to create an image from volume and then restore to my external Samsung X5 SSD (Thunderbolt). But i have this error:

2020-06-23T14:47:49+02:00:Syncing, 90.000000% complete
2020-06-23T14:47:55+02:00:Copying EFI Files, 91.000000% complete
2020-06-23T14:47:57+02:00:source device is file:///dev/disk3s2
2020-06-23T14:47:59+02:00:Helper tool error: Windows Mount Resolution Error
2020-06-23T14:48:00+02:00:Error Error Domain=com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper Code=-1 “Windows Mount Resolution Error” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Windows Mount Resolution Error, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=An error occurred when trying to determine the Windows mount point. Please check the log for more information}
2020-06-23T14:48:00+02:00:Setting the system to allow sleep…

Here is more configuration info

1. Mac (Retina 5K, 27 pouces, 2019) MacOs Catalina
    3,1 GHz Intel Core i5 6 cœurs
    8 Go 2667 MHz DDR4
  2. Version of Winclone 8.2 (48121)
  3. Version of Windows 10 PRO (x64).
  4. External SSD : Samsung X5 (Thunderbolt) 1To.
  5. Yes
  6. Yes

Could you please help me to solve this problem, it’s been two days that I’ve been trying without success.

Parallax

Hi
Any help please?

Parallax

Just bought Winclone 8 and getting this error as well when restoring onto a new mac mini.

After this occurs my newly created Ex32 volume no longer mounts and cannot be fixed through disk utility, I have to partition again to recreate it.

I used block based imaging should that be relevant.

Can I get some help here? I can’t see a resolution for the previous posters.

Can you try switching to file-based (WIM) imaging in the preferences and try again? It would be that the physical block size is different between the two drives.

tim

Thanks, thats got me closer. It now completes but fails on injecting drivers, “There was an error injecting the drivers”. When I try starting into windows all I get is a blank screen. I am trying to move a Windows 7 partition with the intention of upgrading to windows 10 on the new machine.

Also I have tried both make EFI bootable and make legacy bootable but no change.

I upgraded to windows 10 on my old mac then made a new WMI clone. Was able to inject drivers but still not bootable.

Sorry for the late answer, never got an indication.

Source was Windows 7 on the internal boot camp partition on a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) with Winclone 4 or 5 standard on MacOS 10.10.5 some time in 2015.

The image was saved with verification on an external USB drive 2TB Toshiba DT8320 that has worked fine since then for occasional back up, and the attempt to restore was from the exact same location.

Target a fresh internal (bootcamp) partition on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020 2GHz Quad-Core i5) with Winclone 8 on MacOS 10.15.5

5.) 6.) The target Windows partition was made and appeared as expected in Disk Utility, and was changed by Winclone 8 before restore began, both according to the quality instructions on this site. After the error message, the target drive partition appeared in disk utility afterwards, so I could format it again for a new run.

7.) As the source and target has different HW, I did not attempt booting windows troubleshooting, as the plan was to inject necessary drivers before doing that, also as per the instructions on this site about how to do that.

After seeing this issue had never been resolved and batteling with this for a couple of days (different target image sizes etc.), I had to give it up. Turned out I had a VMware image from the same time, that I can unfortunately only run as a virtual machine but better than nothing.

In the end I installed boot camp from scratch, and had no trouble with backing up and restoring this new install with Winclone 8 standard, to the same external drive. Winclone 8 was bought for the restore that failed, and I am not using Winclone again, but I am still interested in knowing why it did not work. I hope others have better luck.

I’m having the exact same error (log file below):

2020-10-30T16:08:48+13:00:Syncing, 90.000000% complete
2020-10-30T16:08:54+13:00:Copying EFI Files, 91.000000% complete
2020-10-30T16:08:56+13:00:source device is file:///dev/disk0s3
2020-10-30T16:08:58+13:00:Helper tool error: Windows Mount Resolution Error
2020-10-30T16:08:59+13:00:Error Error Domain=com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper Code=-1 “Windows Mount Resolution Error” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Windows Mount Resolution Error, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=An error occurred when trying to determine the Windows mount point. Please check the log for more information}
2020-10-30T16:08:59+13:00:Setting the system to allow sleep…

I’ve tried every combination of re-making the partition, re-starting the machine, trying with EFI boot and legacy boot. I’ve even re-installed my entire operating system (10.15.7 Catalina). I’ve un-checked the block-based preference.

I am at my wit’s end trying to get this to work. Surely if Winclone mounts the partition it should know where it put it!!!

Any assistance or clues as to what to try next greatly appreciated.