Windows 7 boot fail after restore to Sierra

Upgraded MBP to Sierra. Windows 7 no longer boots-- flashes a blue screen with text after the Microsoft Corporation progress bar goes to about quarter of the way, then goes to the Windows Error Recovery screen, counts down then restarts. Did a fresh Windows 7 Bootcamp install and it worked fine. Restored the original Windows 7 bootcamp and it doesn’t go beyond the Microsoft Corporation progress bar, just like it was initially. Read online that the MBR partition may have been erased by the Sierra upgrade. I don’t know. Can anyone help?

Try switching between legacy and EFI:

tim

Thanks for the response. Tried Legacy and exactly the same thing happens. Tried EFI and all it gives me is a blank black screen with nothing happening. Anything else I could try?

Try restoring with the current beta and see if it helps:

tim

nope, sorry, it didn’t help. it did exactly the same. did the EFI / Legacy as well but no go. anything else?

What model Mac is it?

tim

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Can you try disabling SIP and then setting as Legacy / EFI bootable?

tim

• disabled SIP, Legacy boot: flashes a blue screen with text after the Microsoft Corporation progress bar goes to about quarter of the way, then goes to the Windows Error Recovery screen, counts down then restarts.

• disabled SIP, EFI boot: blank black screen with nothing happening

you can check the master boot record by running this in terminal:

fdisk /dev/disk0

It will print out the master boot record partition table. Can you post the output?

tim

Sorry, not too familiar with Terminal. I get this:

fdisk: /dev/disk0: Permission denied

sorry, you have to run it as root. Run like this:

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

If you still get an error, you’ll need to disable SIP.

Tim

grab1

So that is definitely EFI booting and Windows 7 generally requires legacy booting. If SIP is disabled and you select legacy booting, it will write a new MBR.

tim

Yup, tried it-- no luck; still cannot boot.
I found this:

Uh, fixed. Seems while installing Sierra it totally erased MBR partition
1. First created rescue CD with GParted Live CD or SystemRescueCd
2. Boot from this disk and run gdisk /dev/sda from terminal to create Hybryd partition - instructions under the link. In my case I converted 2nd Apple HFS+ and 4th Windows NTFS partitions to hybryd and set bootable flag to Windows’s one.
3. Reboot
4. Boot from Windows 7 installation DVD, select language and run System Recovery - Repair your computer link, follow Windows instructions
5. Boot Windows as usual

Is this what I should do? Thanks!

If you disable SIP and in Winclone, make the Boot Camp partition legacy bootable, Winclone writes out a new MBR. You can see it by running this in Terminal:

fdisk /dev/disk0

tim

sudofdsikdevdisk0

Here it is. What are we looking at?

That is showing a correct MBR for legacy booting (the * is showing partition 4 is flagged) and Windows is the last of the first 4 partitions. Does Windows shows an error message or any indication of why the boot error is?

tim

Have (may be) the same problem with W7 on a MacBookPro Retina from 2012.

_Use still W7 because I do not find for the Mac a software as good as CorelDraw x5 _
and I do to not want to upgrade to a higher version of Corel (and Windows).

The bootcamp partition of W7 is recognised. Microsoft starts and crashes with blue screen.

++++

The (my) Terminal does not find the command sudo fdisk /dev/disk0
If legacy bootable is the solution.
How can I - with Winclone 6 - use that feature shown under Tools? The Tool is grey on the screen.
As my Windows 7 Bootcamp (Winclone 6.2.2) runs on my MacBookPro 2010 i5,
is it then not already legacy bootable?
And the reason that it does not run on the newer MacBookPro 2012 i7 Retina is different?
Checked with another program. Seems to be legacy bootable, but does crash.