Black Windows 10 screen after restore

Subject: Black Windows 10 screen after restore

Hardware:

• iMac Pro with 1TB internal SSD
  • Windows 10 internal SSD partition
  • External LaCie Rugged Pro with Thunderbolt 3

Hi Tim,

I’ve got a working running (bootcamp) Windows 10 on my internal SSD. Of course, bootcamp drivers are all updated, I’ve installed the latest Windows 10 20H20 (I believe) and updated the AMD Adraline drivers.

I did on the internal bootcamp partition a dskchk c: /f command. After this dskchk command I created with the latest WinClone 9 an image file. Then I connected my external LaCie Rugged Pro which I erased as “GUID” and “ExFAT”. After this I restored the image to the LaCie SSD. Next, restarted my iMc and selected the Windows on my LaCie drive. I see the Windows logo, then the light blue Windows logo disappears but I see the running Windows wheel. Then this disappears and the iMac display stays dark. When I click on the Magic Mouse, I see the cursor and sometimes also a blue spinning activity. Also worth to highlight that it seems that the Windows display is now split into 4 parts and only the lefthand part is active. I think this because when I move the mouse, it only stays in that lefthand area.

I didn’t do the sys prep since I know now that me internal SSD Windows 10 is working and I don’t want to loose that.

Do I do something wrong or is it not possible? I’m open for suggestions but when it fails to do this, then I would like to ask for a refund, BUT I personally would love to get it on my external SSD using for Windows.

Looking forward for your reply.

We are still looking into it, but you can get a refund here:

tim

I’m experiencing this same issue, except with a Mac Pro 7,1

I have a PCIE M.2 drive that I’d like to use for Windows. I use Winclone to make an image of my existing Bootcamp partion on the Internal M.2 Drive. I then removed my existing Bootcamp partition, and used Winclone to restore the partition onto the Internal M.2 drive. The restore seemed to go fine with no errors. When I boot into Windows, I see the Windows logo and then the screen goes black. If I touch the mouse (Magic Trackpad) I see a pointer that I can move around (that sometimes has a spinning activity wheel next to it). But it never gets past that.

Hi,

I stopped using WinClone after I send my reply to TwoCanoes. Since I have an iMac with Thunderbolt 3, I’d decided to use my internal flash-memory or SSD for Windows bootcamp and via Thunderbolt 3 I’d connected a speedy Ssd/flash for my Big Sur. This is now already for a while and works perfect for me.

Not the help I can give, but when you also have Thunderbolt 3, then that’s perhaps also a way of doing it.