Boot camp cloning not working

Hello,

I have 2 MacBook Air laptop computers, and wanted to make both computers identical. I am trying to clone bootcamp from MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) with MacOS 10.13.6 (use Winclone v7 to create image) to another newer MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019) with Apple T2 Security Chip and MacOS 10.15.7 (use Winclone v9 to restore image). I followed the instruction from this url link: Migrating Windows 10 to a 16″ MacBook Pro (2019) with Winclone 8 – Twocanoes Software (https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/migrating-windows-10-to-a-16-macbook-pro-2019-with-winclone-8/) for few times and got the same BSOD error. Boot from the usb flash drive, Windows with circling, I kept pressing shift and F10 keys, there is a flash of DOS command windows, but it didn’t go to DOS command windows. Windows showed “Setup is starting”, and then went to new Window Setup window. I included the pictures of USB flash drive. Please advise. Happy holidays!

Thanks,
Warren

Does it indicate a driver that causes the BSOD?

It is possible to remove a problem driver if there is a driver in the image that is causing the BSOD.

When you boot from a Windows 10 USB key you should see the option to do a repair and if you click on that link see the option to open the command prompt.

Hello, thank you for your email. When booting from the USB flash drive, it boots to the new windows setup instead of booting to the boot camp drive. Please advise. Many thanks!

If you click Next you should see the option to do a repair on one of the next few screens from memory, I think.

After I pressed next button, it went to the 'Activate Windows" windows, I clicked
I don’t have a a product key", and screen with different type of Windows selection. I selected “Windows 10 Pro”, and it set up brand new windows. The boot camp windows, and renamed “Windows.old” by system. Please advise. Thanks.

Hello, my MacBook Air booted to new windows instead of the bootcamp partition. Please advise. Thanks.

I suspect that once you go through setup, it will ask you to create a new account. create the new account, then log out. you’ll then be able to log into the new account.

tim

Yes, I was to login with new account. I have brand new windows that is not I want. My plan to buy the Winclone to have 2 of my Macs Air with identical the boot camp. Can you please help me with it? Thanks.

Hi Tim,

I have been waiting to get some help. Maybe you didn’t it. I was able to login with new account. I have brand new windows that is not I want. My plan to buy the Winclone to have 2 of my Macs Air with identical the boot camp. Can you please help me with it? Thanks.

I guess I don’t understand what you are trying to do. Can you outline the steps you took and what you what to accomplish?

tim

Hello Tim,

Happy New Year! I have 2 MacBook Air laptop computers, and wanted to make both computers identical. I am trying to clone bootcamp from MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) with MacOS 10.13.6 (use Winclone v7 to create image) to another newer MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019) with Apple T2 Security Chip and MacOS 10.15.7 (use Winclone v9 to restore image). I followed you youtube video instruction (Migrating Windows 10 to a 16″ MacBook Pro (2019) with Winclone 8 – Twocanoes Software)(Migrating Windows 10 to a 16″ MacBook Pro (2019) with Winclone 8 – Twocanoes Software) for few times. Here is the steps I did. Boot from the USB flash drive, Windows with circling, I kept pressing shift and F10 keys (I tried these 2 keys on the MacBook Air keyboard and PC keyboard), and it didn’t go to DOS command windows. It started the windows showed “Setup is starting”, and then went to new Window Setup window. I attached a picture of the files in my USB flash drive. Please advise. Say safe and healthy! Thanks.

You said the first step was:

Boot from the USB flash drive,

Normally, Windows is installed using Boot Camp assistant. If you are trying to set up 2 identical Macs, I would:

1. Install Windows using Boot Camp Assistant including installing all drivers.
  2. Shut down windows completely.
  3. Boot into macOS and run Winclone. Create a Winclone image of the Boot Camp partition.
  4. Copy the image to a external drive.
  5. Boot the 2nd Mac into macOS and create an exFAT partition in Disk Utility the size you want it.
  6. Install Winclone and restore the WInclone image.

tim

Hi Tim,

I hold down option key, and booted to the EFI Boot drive, and it showed the windows logo, and then I started the step #13 (see below). But it didn’t go the DOS command prompt, it went to the new windows setup page. Do you know why? What did I did wrong or missing steps?

Steps from your website:
12. Reboot the Mac and hold the Option key during startup. Select the EFI drive and the Mac will boot from the USB flash drive. When the installer starts, do not start installing.
13. Press shift-F10 to open a DOS command prompt. You may have to wait a minute for the TouchBar, keyboard, and mouse to start working. Once the DOS command prompt shows, click on the window to bring it to the front and enter the following command:
c:\winclonefix.bat

Thanks,
Warren

Hi Tim,

I haven’t able to use Winclone to successfully to clone the boot camp since I bought the Winclone 9 on December 24, 2020. I have been very patiently waiting for help with it, but my patience is about to run out. If I don’t get help today or tomorrow, I would like to request full refund.

Thanks,
Warren

Warren,

I am sorry I was not able to help. I have processed your refund and you should see it in your account in the next few days.

tim