Boot into EFI Bootable Drive not Working

Hi Tim,

I’m trying to install Catalina on a new drive, and although see the Catalina installer I have installed on a drive partition when BootRunner kicks in, it asks me to restart and I do, but then I get no signal on my LG TV to see the screen. Do I need to create a profile or something for that installer drive?

Basically, I have the Catalina installer on an external drive partition. I want to boot from that and install Catalina to a drive in my Mac Pro. When I restart from the installer I lose signal to see the screen. I’m using HDMI and have tried swapping ports, also tried a other monitor… No joy!

My Mac Pro is a 5.1 2014 and I’m doing this to install on an unsupported Mac - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxFzZWqoCng

Thanks!!!

I’m desperately trying tot get Catalina up and running to work. Help is much appreciated.

Ash

Do I need to re-install my older non-metal graphics card to show the screen? It seems BootRunner is messing things up or something… I don’t know why I can’t see the screen. Help! :-/

Looks like I do to get the boot screen from an installer, unless anyone has an idea? I’m stuck…

Boot Runner runs over the login window so if they display normally shows the login window, it should show boot runner.

tim

Thanks Tim, it doesn’t. When I launch the installer on the journaled drive from the boot runner screen and it reboots then I don’t get any screen to proceed…

Do I need to have a profile on that installer partition or something, or do I need to swap out my metal graphics card for the older ATI stock card with the Mac Pro to see it, install the OS and then put the metal card back in?

I’m kinda stuck there at the moment and have tried multiple things to get the screen to show, and really don’t want to keep pressing the power button to reboot when it fails and mess up the hard drive and other peripherals connected. I’m a pro audio engineer and as you can imagine have a lot of stuff connected (expensive)!

Thanks for some help…

Ash

P.s. Perhaps I need to update to 3.3 too? I don’t get any notification of updates of the software, is there any reason for that? I see the news at the site hasn’t been updated in a while for newsletters.

Checking back for help please…

Ash

Anyone…? :confused:

Boot Runner doesn’t provide a way to boot differently; it just provides a way to select a boot drive. If you don’t see the login window (or the desktop) with the graphics card in macOS, then you will not see the boot runner screen. The best way to test this is to start up the Mac, get to the desktop, then log out from the Apple menu. If you see the login window there, then boot runner should work fine.

tim

Hi Tim,

Sorry I think you misunderstand the issue…

1. I am trying to install Catalina to a new drive.
  2. I have the Catalina installer on a partition on a journaled drive.
  3. I have a Metal compatible card in my Mac Pro 5,1.
  4. I boot the system and see the partition to run the installer.
  5. The system reboots as if to boot into the installer…

I see no screen!

So, by my thinking, Boot Runner does not support booting into installers, right? I need to take out the Metal card, put my old one in and have it boot into the installer, install Catalina to the/an internal drive and then put the Metal card back in, reboot and it should recognise the AFPS formatted drive with Catalina on?

Please kindly see here (video below), I want to get this right with using Boot Runner as it’s the only way I can boot to different drives with a Metal card on this older machine that does not natively support installing Catalina.

I need some help with this and your soft. Thanks!

AFPS is not for Hard Drives. It’s for SSDs. AFPS will fragment the hell out a Hard Drive and slow it down.
Does your Metal card have the Apple Boot Rom? If not you may not see a screen on till a login screen shows up.

Hi jgrah,

Thanks for reaching out. Much appreciated!

Sorry, I meant “APFS”, typo. That is required for macOS Catalina. for its file system.

I will look to get an SSD if recommend, but first I need to at least get it on a drive to work per dosdude1’s steps to run the OS on an unsupported Mac Pro and think it’ll be swapping out graphics cards to see that boot screen for the installer to run it.

My Metal card does not have the Apple Boot Rom, no, and I’m not risking flashing it for fear of trashing it and it costing me. I’ve heard horror stories of people attempting that.

Cheers, Ash

Gonna try this at the weekend, 'lest Tim do you have any further comment/advise to assist?

Ash

Bump. Getting no signal on TV (hdmi-hdmi), have set csrutil enable --without nvram. Help!?

Fixed it with several graphic card swaps back and forth and forcing SIP with a few commands…

:slight_smile:

1 Like