Bootcamp partition error "your disk could not be partitioned" despite enough space

Hello,

I have a 1Tb iMac and am trying to restore a Winclone image I created of a windows 10 bootcamp partition. My original bootcamp partition was 450Tb. When I try to restore the image, Winclone states that the required space needed is now 499Tb which is fine because I have 823Gb free.

If I create a bootcamp partition less than 480Gb everything works fine but if I try to create a partition of more than 500Gb I get the error shown above.

I’ve run First Aid, there are no Time Machine instances. I’ve checked in Terminal that there is nothing else occupying the free space.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Paolo

To clarify my original bootcamp partition was 450Gb. When I try to restore the image, Winclone states that the required space needed is now 499Gb

There could be fragmentation, cached software updates, or something else that is blocking it. Try opening up console and see if you see any errors or related warnings when trying to create a new partition.

tim

Thanks Tim,

I tried it on my MacBook Pro and it worked perfectly. Someone suggested I do a TM backup and then restore and see if that works. I will you know when I’ve done that.

Paolo

After making a TM backup I erased the disk and reinstalled MacOS BigSur. After restoring from TM I tried to run Bootcamp and it worked flawlessly and Winclone restore also works.

Thanks

1 Like