Cannot restore to Bootcamp

Hi,
I’ve been trying to get this done for almost 2 days now. WinClone will not attempt to restore to my Bootcamp partition.

It keeps giving me this same error:

The screenshot shows not only the error, but the System Report right behind it shows that SIP is disabled already. Plus, this is a GUID disk, not an MBR, so that part doesn’t even apply as it has nothing to write to MBR. Just in case it matters, the disk that was backed up was GUID as well.

What am I doing wrong?

I just looked at the source code for any ways that this error could be displayed, and all of them require that Winclone detects that SIP is enabled. The exact check is that it runs “csrutil status” and checks for the string “System Integrity Protection status: disabled” and the string “NVRAM Protections: disabled” in the output. When you run “csrutil status”, do you see both those strings?

tim

Yes, they are all listed as disabled, including the two that you mentioned.

My optical drive is broken, so I don’t know of any other way to get Windows on Bootcamp. And I’m still confused by it mentioned the Master Boot Record. Everything is GUID… the partition, and the image was based off a GUID partition, so I am at a loss to explain that.

Based on what your software does, with the exception of SIP, I cannot see how this would matter. But, I forgot to put this in the original post. I am running Catalina 10.15.4 on a Late 2011 MacBook Pro 8,3.

I see the issue:

I check for “System Integrity Protection status: disabled” and you have:

“System Integrity Protection status: unknown”

That is what is causing the error. How did you get Catalina on a 2011 MacBook Pro? If it was the Catalina enabler, that might be what is causing the issue.

You may be able to write to the MBR from the Tools-> Make Legacy bootable. Not sure if that has the same check.

tim

That didn’t work, as it didn’t even see the drive. I’m assuming it’s looking for an MBR disk. I’m going to download and install High Sierra on an external drive and hopefully be able to do this that way.

As far as my main OS, I could go back to Mojave (though that’s not supported on this machine officially either), but I cannot go back any further than that. I cannot live without Dark Mode.

In an ironic turn of events, I can’t stand Dark Mode :slight_smile:

tim

That’s funny, actually. :joy:

So, I installed High Sierra which was the last one my Mac officially supports. Then, I found out that WinClone only supports Mojave or greater?

I don’t know what to do at this point. I can’t replace the SuperDrive just for this one time I’d use it. Not to mention, this one jammed a lot on the chassis itself, so a new one would probably have the same issue.

Can you think of anything I can do?

The app is useful to most people, but my combination of hardware and OS just won’t let it run. Is there an older version that runs on High Sierra?

https://twocanoes.com/go-retro/