Changing Partition Layout breaks Windows 10 - BSOD - igdkmd64.sys. SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

When I migrated my 256 GB SSD to a 1 TB SSD using Winclone and Carbon Copy Cloner I was not able to change the partition layout.

The original drive had two partitions:
Mac OS
Windows

MacOS Mojave will not upgrade because I do NOT have an APFS partition.
The only way to get to a APFS partition appears to be to split the MacOS Partition and Create a new Partition as APFS. After I do this the Bootcamp partition is no longer bootable.
I try to make the Partition bootable by using the Make EFI Bootable.
This succeeds, but when I boot into the “EFI” drive that now shows up it gets into windows 10 and after I log in it gets a blue screen.

The only way I have been able to recover from this is restore the clone over the drive after getting the partitions back to the initial state.

After you create the new partition, set it to Bootable by using the Tools->Make EFI/Legacy bootable. That should resolve the booting issues.

tim

That is what I did and it crashes.

To clarify my problem:

1. After any changes to the partition that the bootcamp drive is on it no longer gives me the boot option.
  2. If I use the Tools->Make EFI/Legacy bootable then the option is called “EFI” and Not “Windows 10”
  3. I bot into windows and then I get a Blue Screen of death shortly after that says igdkmd64.sys. SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.

I have been able to go into safe mode and based on a few posts found that renaming the igdkmd64.sys so that it does not run will allow me to get into windows.

This has killed my Sound Drivers. When I tried to fix my sound drivers the blue screen and the igdkmd64.sys fill come back.

I found this:

Which seems to suggest that partition table is corrupted.

As in the article I have nearly the same hardware:

• MacBook Pro (Mid 2012)
  • Processor: 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16gb 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics:
    • Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1024MB
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I am wondering if the boot should be Legacy, but I get an error when I try to set the boot to legacy.

I solved my problem and I want to share here what it was:

1. I need to use Legacy Boot Mode
  2. I could not use Legacy Boot Mode because I had enabled Hibernation on Windows 10.
  3. Having disabled the igdkmd64.sys driver by renaming it, had to go into safe mode in windows and renamed the file to igdkmd64backup.sys
  4. Rebooted normally
  5. Disable Hibernation - Open a Command Prompt as administrator and run “powercfg.exe /h off”
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/How-to-disable-Sleep-Mode-or-Hibernation-793/
  6. Reboot into Mac OS
  7. Run WinClone
  8. Tools->Make Legacy bootable
  9. Works this time since Hibernation is disabled
  10. Reboot into windows
  11. Rename the igdkmd64backup.sys to igdkmd64.sys
  12. Reboot into Windows Again
  13. Repaired the Audio drivers

After that windows 10 is working correctly again.

So lesson learned, don’t enable Hibernation in Windows 10 or it will prevent me from fixing the bootable status of Windows 10 and also prevents being able to use read/write of NTFS in Mac OS

1 Like

Helpful thread, I had faced a lot of issues of SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED on windows 10, But yes I have found this guide How to Fix “System Thread Exception Not Handled” Error on Windows 10 and my issue is already resolved by following mentioned guide.