DEP Not Enroling Devices

Hi! I’m having a terrible time getting MDS to work as an MDM via DEP. I’ve got all green lights, and the serial numbers that I’ve assigned to MDS are coming through from Apple, but my Enrollment config isn’t coming through.

This article may help troubleshoot the issue:

https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/troubleshooting-deployment-enrollment-dep-for-macos-by-viewing-the-activation-record/

Also, make sure you re-save the initial profile once you assign them in the DEP portal since that is what associates the serial number to the profile on apple’s servers.

tim

Hi guys,
I’m having the exact same problem. All lights green but no DEP enrollment. I’ve checked one of the machines activation record which returned Null though it’s listed in the MDS microMDM.
In the MDS Logs I found this error:
level=info component=depsync msg=“DEP sync” more=false cursor=MDowO…5NDE fetched=2020-06-17T09:40:53Z devices=2
level=debug msg=“updating devices from DEP” device_count=2
level=info component=depsync err=“assign profile: unexpected dep response. status=404 DEP API Error: PROFILE_NOT_FOUND” msg=“auto-assign error assigning serials to profile” profile=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX…

Error assigning serials to profile, but why? In DEP I have reassigned these 2 serials from our current MDM server to the microMDM Server of MDS and updated the profile in MDS afterwards.

BR, Loïc

Hi there,

Any luck with this? I noticed that our workflows are skipping DEP enrollment as well, even though they are assigned in ASM

I’m still having this issue. I need to put some more time into troubleshooting, but I’ve been pulled in other directions.

Unfortunately I’m also still having this issue. Showing the activation record just returns NULL, unlike our devices assinged to our external MDM provider.
This is the only thing holding us back from using MDS microMDM and hopefully we can resolve this. It would be much appreciated if you could have a look at this.

Thanks and BR,
Loïc

I think this issue has been identified:

tim

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the link! I’ll have a look at this and try to get it working.
Though I am a bit skeptical, since as mentioned, only devices which are attached to MDS microMDM have that problem while using the exact same workflow as other devices with a different MDM.
The other thing is the error message I get in the logs, where it’s stated that the serial could not be assigned to the profile but not why:

level=info component=depsync msg=“DEP sync” more=false cursor=MDowO…5NDE fetched=2020-06-17T09:40:53Z devices=2
level=debug msg=“updating devices from DEP” device_count=2
level=info component=depsync err=“assign profile: unexpected dep response. status=404 DEP API Error: PROFILE_NOT_FOUND” msg=“auto-assign error assigning serials to profile” profile=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX…

@derek.austill Do you also have this error in your MDS logs?

BR, Loïc