Error 0xc0000225 after INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Hello!

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 here. Several years ago I bough an SSD, so I moved my main 1TB HDD to the optical bay and continued using the Boot Camp partition from there. Now I bought a larger SSD and decided to move Boot Camp from the optibay HDD to the main SSD.

WIM-based restore failed, so I did the block-based restore using Winclone 6. After that I got the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. At the same time, the partition loaded just fine through Parallels.

I did the driver injection, but now I get the winload.exe error with code 0xc0000225.

Parallels is still booting up just fine. Any suggestions on what I could do to fix it? Maybe I could boot the partition through Parallels and fix something on the Windows side if that would help?

Thanks so much!

Try booting into parallels and running SysPrep:

https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/prepare-windows-with-sysprep-in-a-virtual-machine/

tim

Well, the sys prep failed, so after some Googling I had to uninstall some packages using PowerShell, but then it got another fatal error and I have no idea how to fix it.

I’m starting to to think I’d be better off starting with a new install. Unless you have other suggestions?

Here is what I found worked great for me:

You need to do two registry edits using RegEdit, before you clone (or via Parallels if you have the external drive)

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\:

1. Under HardwareConfig Click on entry with a bunch of numbers (Its a UUID) and change BootDriverFlags to 14 in hexadecimal.
  2. Under MountedDevices delete all entries, then delete MountedDevices complete.

I did both and this worked great for me.

1 Like