Hi All –
Wanted to share my experience of trying to get bootcamp to work on an external TB3 drive with my 2020 T2 iMac. It seems like this is an active topic, so I’m sharing in hope this might help.
I have successfully installed Windows 10 via bootcamp on my internal drive; however, I can’t get it boot externally and have tried the following:
- Vanilla Winclone 8.2 image to external drive
- Successful dism install of drivers per [https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/resolving-inaccessible_boot_device-error-after-restoring-winclone-image/](http://Resolving INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error after restoring Winclone image)
- Reset PRAM
- Manually inject SSD driver using Winclone 8.2 SSD inject feature
- Vanilla Winclone Beta 9 (48137) image to external drive
- Reset PRAM
- Manually inject Bootcamp drivers using new Windows Support inject feature
Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get any of the above permutations to work. All end up on BSOD INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE after selecting the boot drive upon startup.
The behavior is consistent across all cases - select the windows drive up startup, Windows logo pops up, and then my TB3 drive flashes (like during a restart). After the flash, Windows eventually goes to BSOD above.
Also interesting to note, I get this exact same behavior when trying to accomplish this via a VirtualBox VM installation. It appears my iMac can no longer reach my TB3 drive after the Windows logo pops up and TB3 drive “restart flashes”.
Hope this helps!