Is still possible to migrate Windows 7 to a new machine?

I have a bootcamp partition on my Macbook (late 2013) with windows 7. I still use Windows Office 2003 for some contract work that I do and cannot update to a newer version of Windows for fear of breaking things. But I’m running out of space on the MacBook. I created a Winclone file and saved it to an external drive.

I bought a Mac Mini (late 2014). Tried to restore the Winclone file and when I booted up (in bootcamp) I got a black screen–no cursor or anything. I disabled SIP and tried again. That time I got an error that I need to install the startup disk, which I of course do not have.

I’ve read about running sysprep, but I believe that deletes files, which I don’t want to do for fear of breaking the setup on my MacBook.

Any idea if I’m doing something wrong in how I’m creating and then restoring the Winclone file? Or am I just out of luck in trying to transfer a Windows 7 OS? I was wondering if volume-to-volume might work better but I assume I’d need to buy a cable to do that and I don’t want to spend the money if it’s still not going to be a solution.

The macMini is listed as supported here:

but only for 64 bit. Is Windows 32 or 64 bit?

tim

It is 64 bit (just confirmed). It’s Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1.

I upgraded the bootcamp on my old machine to Windows 10, created the winclone backup, restored it to the new machine( Mac mini) and it booted up with no problem :slight_smile: And I am able to run Word 2003 on Windows 10, so my problem is solved.

1 Like