Macbook Pro 16 inch

Tim one thing: The bootcamp partition is only working and restarting when I let the settings as they are (no security - bootable on every device) is that a permanently? Is it not a big security issue to let the settings as they are now? Is there a way to set it back to full security and be able to boot windows?

Any Feedback on this? Want to try it this weekend. Would appreciate any feed back from Tim and others.

The main issue is that the instructions posted here:

http://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/resolving-inaccessible_boot_device-error-after-restoring-winclone-image/

Do not work on the new 2019 16" MacBook Pro.

I can boot into the USB no problem, and with an external keyboard/mouse get to the DOS prompt.

However, when running ‘diskpart’, booted from the USB, Windows does not see the internal SSD.

I had thought of the idea of using VMWare also, but that would have brought in another really complex set of possible issues (VMWare on new system, unproven).

There is a good chance that when one tries all of these steps you can end up trashing your whole partition table, and have to do an internet recovery of the whole darn system.

In the end a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, using standard macOS bootcamp assistant, was incredibly easy.

I ended up with a clean, small, Windows 10 partition.

I see very little use for Winclone now, as the whole point of any sort of backup software is to be able to use it to perform a ‘restore’.

Backups that are unproven only serve to provide unwarranted confidence.

I will be getting the $20 refund, as I see almost no value at this stage.

A backup that is not usable makes the Winclone solution pretty much a bricked piece of software.

Too bad, as I have been using Winclone from almost the very beginning (before the commercialization).

If it were still a free product I would have no problem with this sort of unreliable solution.

By the way, when I add up the costs of Winclone 5 -> 6 --> 7 -> 8 it is significantly more than $20.

Getting Frustrated here. Started with the simplest possible thing to imagine. Saving a winclone8 image to my network drive. First try got stuck on “Preparing to Save Image”. Had produced a small image in the Network Drive. Deleted it. Ran dakchk /b. No errors reported. tried again. Same result. Deleted and tried again. This time seemed to go further but now stuck on “Archiving file data” for like 30 minutes. File size in the network drive is about 16 GB actual windows size is close to 150 GB. Grrr. Come on. If this simple cloning is going to be a problem… still willing to stick with it if Tim or some one has any ideas. Is it because the file location is on a network? Local copy will work? Will I run into space issues in my Mac partition? I have about 37 GB space left and my windows partition is about 150 GB. Frustrating

I’m sorry to have to add my name to the list of unhappy customers.

Owning a Mid-2017 MacBook Pro with a Windows 10 Pro Boot Camp partition, I bought Winclone to transfer it to a 2019 MacBook Pro 16”.

I first created a (fully working) Boot Camp partition in macOS to (a) prove it , and (b) get macOS to create the ‘right kind’ of bootable partition for the restore. Also, boot security options are disabled on the new Mac.

Winclone cloned the partition perfectly well but so far, no luck restoring. Having tried all kinds of options I eventually got to the sysprep stage. To get there I tried:

• With SIP protection enabled, using the “Don’t replace BCD” option I got to the point where An error occurred when updating the Master Boot Recovery with error Updating MBR Error.
  • With SIP protection disabled, using the “Don’t replace BCD” option, the restore was successful but Windows wouldn’t boot. Using an Alt+ restart, the partition wasn’t listed as a boot choice, and back in macOS, the Boot Camp partition couldn’t be set as Startup Disk as bless couldn’t change the volume.
  • With SIP protection disabled, using the “Replace BCD” option, the restore was successful and I could set the partition as the Startup Disk (in macOS System Preferences). Managed to boot into the partition but Windows Can’t start because a connected device is not responding.

So, I (reluctantly) started down the sysprep route but I can’t complete that because Windows 10 won’t remove ‘provisioned apps’ which means sysprep aborts. Having removed as many provisioned apps as possible manually, the advice from Microsoft is to remove all user profiles. In which case, there’s not much point trying to clone the installation, really.

I can see how Winclone could be extremely useful for backing up and restoring a Boot Camp partition on the same Mac, but it’s advertised as a “Complete Boot Camp cloning and backup solution,” and I don’t feel that matches my experience.

Did anyone get to the same point as me and get the Boot Camp partition working? I could keep trying but I feel like I’ve wasted enough time on this already :neutral_face:

Dear Touchstone

I had exactly the same conditions like you have and could successfully transfer bootcamp into my new macbook pro 16". Did you tried to set in the recovery mode the secure boot settings to “no security” this was the reason why my flash did not wanted to boot. The only problem I have now is that the macbook is not booting when I set the secure settings to something else. But for now it works and my windows partition seems to complete and working.

Hi Cueni, thanks for getting in touch :slight_smile: Yes, I had boot security options set to ‘none’ when I got the ...connected device not responding screen. That’s the condition the Mac’s in now.

Hello Tim (et al),

Well, this is all a wee bit frustrating - and its a good thing I still have the old mac to run windows on in the meantime, I guess - but - kinda a pity that I can’t yet hand it on to the next intended recipient - because I still can’t get the BOOTCAMP environment ‘across’.

There seems to be a recipe of sorts that is evolving in this thread, and some people have made it to the other end of the recipe successfully - but I’m not yet one of them. I have chewed up a lot of hours trying (I tend to be a bit persistent like that) but I pity anyone trying to do this without that persistence (or with less time on their hands to keep trying)… its all so… complicated for something that would ideally not be.

(and I get it - we don’t live in an ideal world).

Winclone’s doing a tremendous job of the baseline functionality of backup and restore of BOOTCAMP disk partitions.

However, the process of getting a partition from any previous hardware over to a MacBook Pro 16 seems pretty hellish frankly.

Various of us are getting stuck in various -different- spots, which is in someways all the stranger than a consistent failure mode/point.

For me, I’m stuck at the process of creating a bootable USB stick. I follow the instructions provided (carefully, honest), and I’ve tried it over and over - and every time (in the sense of that old saying attributed to Einstein) - I keep expecting a different result, but I don’t get a different result - I get a thing that doesn’t work.

I’m about to splash out and pay for a license for VMWare fusion in the hope that I can use -that- to boot the ‘genericised’ BOOTCAMP partition in order to run that magic dos command that installs the new drivers.

I’m not sure if that’s going to work but the cost of the license to find out doesn’t bother me - hell, I just bought a MacBook Pro 16 with 4GB of flash and 64Gb of ram - so clearly money isn’t the issue…

… and indeed, really, it isn’t - the issue is time - the only truly precious commodity for any of us.

Tim, sincerely, its got to be about time you re-tested and generated a single new web page and/or a new video that describes the journey from top to bottom to go from an earlier MacBook to a shiny new MacBook Pro 16, with all steps illustrated (all of them) - nothing left to the imagination or left out.

Its a hard enough process for someone new to the minute details of T2 Mac boot processes (and for someone who otherwise doesn’t want to need to care about any of it, either) - without having to piece it together from multiple web pages, most of which make reference to resolving different boot-time error messages than the ones I’m actually getting with the new machine.

Thanks for the feedback. I am working on the issue now in 2 ways:

1. Improved documentation and videos on how to successfully migrate to a 2019 MacBook Pro knowing what is available now.
  2. Investigate and implement a better way to inject the SSD driver that doesn’t involve VMWare or an external drive.

I’ll share details as I post them. Sorry about the issues this is causing and I’ll work hard to get this resolved.

tim

Hi. I’m trying to restore a Winclone Image onto a new Macbook Pro 16" from a bootcamp partition of a 2016 Macbook Pro. I’m following the instructions for “Resolving INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error.” The problem is that when I boot from the USB EFI it goes straight to Windows setup. I can’t get the command prompt. I don’t have any functions keys (e.g., F10) because there is just the touchbar. I’ve tried holding down shift while I double click EFI, but it still takes me into the Windows setup. Can someone please help me with the workaround?

You’ll have to plug in an external keyboard and press the shortcut after the setup page has come up.

I did some further testing and was able to successfully migrate a Boot Camp partition from a 2013 MacBook Pro to a 2019 MacBook Pro following the instructions to boot from with an external drive and inject the drivers. However, I did have to add in an additional step since the AppleSSD driver did not load and the DISM command failed. I ran:

drvload c:$WinPEDriver$\AppleSSD64\AppleSSD.inf

This then made a the internal drive available via D: and I was able to run the DISM command successfully. I still had to use an external keyboard press shift-f10 after booting from the external drive.

I believe that I can automate this process a bunch and/or provide a way to not have to do at all. I am toing to write up complete documentation on how I migrated the 2013 MBA to the 2019 MBA as well as a video. This should help folks right now get it up and running. My goal is to post this by end of day tomorrow.

I then want to investigate either automating or getting rid of this requirement. At the very least we can make the process easier and I am hopeful that we can make progress on making it much easier.

I appreciate all the hard work and feedback folks have given and I apologize for not focusing on making this easier sooner. We got a 16" MacBook Pro as soon as it was released and did testing on it. I did not test complete enough to catch these issues sooner. If you are affected by this issue, know that I am working on getting it resolved. If you want a refund, submit a request here: http://twocanoes.com/refunds/. I know that is not really the money that is the point but rather the time you spent working on this issue and the frustration it has caused. Sorry about that and I will work hard to resolve it. Promise.

tim perfitt
twocanoes software

More information:

The AppleSSD and other Apple drivers were not loading due to a driver conflict. If you remove all folders in WinPEDriver that do NOT start with Apple, the AppleSSD and keyboard/mouse starts working. If you copy the BootCamp/Drivers/Apple/AppleKeyboardInternalUSB folder to WinPEDriver, the toolbar starts working.

I am working a way to make this simpler.

tim

Hi Tim,

I’ve scratched my head a lot on this, and I keep thinking there has to be a cunning shortcut somewhere - but so far I’ve not found it (and I’m definitely clutching at straws).

I have no interest in a refund - the core functionality of the software (clone/image/restore) works as advertised, and that’s fair enough; It is the stretch goal of getting the MacBook Pro 16 inch migration to work (and preferably smoothly and easily) that we’re all targeting.

I have worked around my immediate need by licensing VMWare Fusion (I ran it years ago and had let it lapse in the meantime). So I’m running my Bootcamp partition under VMWare fusion for the time being, perfectly well (with that BOOTCAMP partition having been moved to the MacBook Pro using Winclone, of course).

So that’s taken the heat out of it for me for the time being - but I still really have this bee in my bonnet about migration and being able to go back to natively booting the BOOTCAMP partition.

[ Is there a shortcut method I can use to tweak the thing into working natively, using VMWare, somehow? i tried just booting the Windows instance under VMWare and running the ‘dism’ command inside the running image, but - darn it - dism then refuses to inject the drivers if the windows instance is actually active - so it seems the injection has to come from another windows instance, not from the one you want to actually boot. Sheesh, its as if every path I try always has a twist in the tail :slight_smile: ]

I will look forward to your further insights on this, Tim. Please know that your efforts are appreciated and that when you crack this, many people will benefit (and rationally, many more people will then license Winclone as their weapon of choice for this specific migration path)

Cheers,
Simon

I have completed testing and here is the article that explains how to migrate step-by-step. It consolidates a lot of information into one place and adds in few differences from the prior way to doing it:

1. The Intel drivers were preventing the AppleSSD and keyyboard drivers from loading when booting from the external flash drive to inject drivers. The new process just uses the Apple drivers and not all the drivers from the WinPEDriver folder.
  2. The TouchBar is now enabled by copying a driver from Boot Camp driver to the drivers folder. This means you no longer need another keyboard.
  3. I created a script so you can just run that versus the nasty DISM command. Since the C: drive is going to be the drive you are booted from and D: is going to be the internal drive, I feel more confident being able to script it.

The article is published here. I am going to work on video next which I’ll put at the top of the article. My goad is to complete this today.

https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/migrating-windows-10-to-a-16-macbook-pro-2019-with-winclone-8/

I’ll continue investigating making this easier but at least the process is now in one place and works on the 16" MacBook Pro 2019.

Thanks again for folks hanging in there and helping to get this resolved.

tim

I did a slight update to the article just now. You can’t have a folder named WinPEDriver with the Intel drivers at the top of the USB drive or else the Apple drivers won’t load. Strange. But updated the article to make sure that the folder isn’t copied.

tim

Anyone get a chance to try this and see if it works?

tim

Hi Tim

I did the cloning based on your primary instructions and think that not all drivers installed correctly. Basically most staff seems to working except for connecting a thunderbolt 3 display 5k 34“ in bootcamp and the apple mouse and trackpad drivers aslo dont work. Tried to install the drivers manually from the usb flash drive in windows using the setup.exe bootcamp but I got an error message. you may beliebe your new instructions will resolve these issues? is there a way to install all drivers correctly in ma currenr status when my winclone image is implemented?

I am investigating ways to make this easier. If you already are booted into Windows, then installing drivers from there is the best path.

tim

I returned after a hiatus to see some progress. I was disheartened when I could not even do a sysprep in windows. Want to give it one more try. For moving from 2013 MBP to a 16 inch 2019 MBP is sysprep absolutely necessary. Can I just install a clone and just inject correct drivers using either parallels or the method Tim’s new guide is suggesting.