MDS fail dseditgroup error

Hello again–
Seen an error that makes MDS unusable in last few days, and wondering if you can shed any light on it. Two different machines, both newly delivered from Apple and running macOS 10.15.7.

• Boot into Recovery Mode
  • Launch Terminal
  • Type in /Volumes/MDS/run
  • Pick workflow, run
  • renames machine w/ serial number
  • attempts to run rest of workflow (which includes creating two users), fails with “/tmp/tmpnSh1pj: line 2: /usr/sbin/dseditgroup: No such file or directory”
    Tried two other workflows, even ones w/o users being created, same error.

Terminal shows:
Preparing to run workflow…
Imagr: Running script 2.0
Imagr: Running script 3.0
Imagr: Running script 4.0
/tmp/tmpnSh1pj: line 2: /usr/sbin/dseditgroup: No such file or directory

When I look in /usr/sbin there isn’t a dseditgroup. Perhaps this is something new in a recent security patch?

log repeatedly shows:
/var/log/install.log shows:
configd: DHCP en3: INIT transmit failed

sw_vers shows:
Product Name: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.15.7
BuildVersion: 19H2

Any suggestions?

Are you install macOS? It sounds like the users are being created when the workflow is run. They should be created on first boot. Can you let me know the settings in macOS?

tim

Are you install macOS? It sounds like the users are being created when the workflow is run. They should be created on first boot. Can you let me know the settings in macOS?

tim

Hi Tim–
This particular workflow doesn’t install an OS, just creates two users (an admin and standard) and installs apps, three scripts, and an MDM enrollment profile (Mosyle).

I did notice that the three scripts were set to “when running workflow”–this should be “after first boot packages are installed” if I want them to run last, right? The first of these is a script that allows non-admins to add printers, and THIS appears to be calling the offending dseditgroup.

/usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a everyone -t group lpadmin

So I’m guessing this is my own fault. Live and learn.