I’m planning to migrate a Windows 10 Image from an existing SSD (MacBook Pro, 2015) to a new, larger SSD upgrade installed in the same machine. I have read the various Migration Guides and believe I understand the necessary steps. However I found one post from a few years ago that seemed to indicate there may be problems when migrating to a new OWC SSD. Does anyone have any guidance / experience regarding this? Is it still an issue, or have others had success in migrating to this brand of drive?
I believe it still has the issue related to drivers of that drive.
For information, my configuration:
- MacBook Pro (13-inch Retina, early 2015)
- Mac OS 10.15.7 Catalina
- Bootcamp - Windows 10
- Original Apple 512 GB SSD - replaced by Aura OWC 2TB SSD (purchased with the box for the old SSD)
After several unsuccessful attempts to clone Windows 10 using Winclone (inaccessible_boot_device error) and looking on the forums, I realized that cloning did not work with the Aura OWC 2TB SSD disk that I had installed!
Then I started looking for an equivalent to Winclone that would work under Windows. I finally came across EaseUS OS2Go which clones Windows to USB drive to use the system from the drive as a last resort.
But after successfully transferring my Windows10 from original Mac drive to USB drive, I tried “Volume to volume” function from USB drive to new Aura OWC SSD (then failed again after trying to change partition size, then another success); Here is a summary of what worked for me:
- On Mac
• Installed OWC Dual Boot Enabler Drivers (Aura OWC SSD Drivers)
On Windows - the one you want to transfer
• Some maintenance operations that I only did the second time, so a priori not mandatory; disabled disk compression; defragmented disk; Windows virus scan; updated Windows; deleted recent files and folders (view/option); repaired the installation of BOOTCAMP drivers just in case
• checked for disk errors; seems necessary because in case of disk error, cloning fails (if necessary, Windows restarts to do the check at system startup - approx. 10-15 min)
• cleaned disk
• with EaseUS OS2Go software (currently approx. 20$/month or 30$/year or 70$ for life), I cloned on HDD or USB key (60 GB)
**I couldn’t find a way to manage everything with Winclone so far, and now that it works, I’m not looking anymore, but I would have liked to have one less software to buy. **
• shut down computer
• replaced SDD following manufacturer’s instructions
For verification, I restarted by selecting the Windows installed on the USB key; it works.
On Mac (Mac OS already transferred with CarbonCopyCloner from original SSD to Aura OWC SSD)
• By following the steps indicated by Winclone:
- partition creation by partitioning (not a volume) the new SSD installed (FAT32-MS-DOS called WIN)
- Use the “volume to volume” function from the HDD or the USB key to the new partition created
- Do not inject the drivers
- Reboot into Windows (Alt on startup). Normally, the system restarts as it was left at the time of the clone made with OS2Go.
Oddly enough, when I had to start over from a resize partitions crash, resuming from step 5 didn’t work, I ended up at step 6 each time with a black screen with the loading wheel next to the pointer when I moved the mouse, but nothing else happened. I had to start over at step 2; luckily I had kept the data on the Mac’s original SSD.
Sorry for the possible translation problems.
Hope this helps some people.