Network Connections Needed for MDS

We’re currently testing MDS in our environment to see if it is a viable option for future deployments. We have 802.1x implemented on our network, so computers that boot into recovery mode are in a network quarantine. They can only access specific sites until they are authenticated through 802.1x. We can ask the network team to add additional sites if needed. Since MDS currently only works with an internet connection, I’d like to ask if there is a list available of all of the network locations it needs to access so we can request an exception for our quarantine network. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Gabriel

This should be of some help:

It doesn’t list the IP addresses but has the hostname and ports.

tim

Thanks for the info. We’ve requested an exception for those hosts and should be able to access them soon. I assumed there were other hosts needed that MDS uses since the MDS run script checks the internet connection first before it attempts to go through the workflow.

I appreciate your help.

-Gabriel

Ah, you are correct. It does do a lookup on apple.com, but as long as that DNS resolves, it will continue onward. You can remove that check if you want by commenting it out of the runs script. We should change it to look up osrecovery.apple.com instead.

tim

I’ll also request an exception for apple.com. Thanks for your help.

-Gabriel