Repeating boot cycle

Both mac and windows options are available at the boot selection screen but when i choose windows it simply reboots and displays the same selection screen.

Do the Mac boot into windows correctly if you select Windows via the Startup Disk System Preference?

tim

I have EXACTLY the same problem.

Additionally, when I try to select Windows via the Startup Disk System Preference, OSX Gives me a “The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk” error.

Please help us; we want to be able to use your software to get around Apple’s idiocy, just to be able to use in the same manner what we used before.

I’ve also tried Boot Champ and Quick Boot, but without any success.

I also tried using the Bless command to Bless the windows volume, but without success.

Currently, I’m running a 5,1 Mac Pro with a newly installed Radeon RX 580, and just can’t access the Windows partition any longer. Incidentally, the Windows volume is a partition on the same disk that also contains my OSX boot partition.

This is usually related to either SIP or boot mode of Windows (legacy or EFI). Has anything changed recently with the Boot Camp partition?

tim

Nothing whatsoever.

I was concerned that the combination of installing the Radeon RX 580, along side an upgrade to Mojave might be a source for concern, but there’s nothing I could find on the Internet that would corroborate that suspicion. I have a slight background in tech support, for what it’s worth, and those were the only changes made to my system.

I was wondering how many other Boot Runner users have run into this problem, and what was the solution that corrected the issue; if you can find that out for me, we could try such as solution, or solutions, and solve the problem through the process of elimination.

By the way, I really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

Regards,

Chris Repchik

You could try running Winclone and using the Tools->Set Legacy Bootable and see if that resolves the error message when selecting the startup disk.

tim

One slight problem: I’d actually have to pay money to use the function you describe.

I don’t see any point in purchasing software for only one particular function, that I would only use once, one that may not even work … unless you guys can give me a full refund afterwards, or perhaps a time-limited license key, just to see if that particular feature makes the partition accessible.

I’m completely happy paying for Boot Runner after the 14-day trial expires, as long as it ends up being something I will be using on a daily basis to access my Windows partition … but we have to get there first.

Do you know of any alternatives to make my Windows 7 partition accessible?

Regards,

Ticklor

Hi Tim,

Being that you have resolved issues like this before for users, which solutions corrected the problem?

I think we should start with that list, and work down it until the problem is corrected.

Also, it would be much better if we could do this over the phone, as is usually the case for tech support, rather than sending an email every few days; this will get the issue dealt with more speedily. What number can you be reached at?

Regards,

Ticklor

Hi Tim,

Are you still there?

It’s been almost two weeks since I last heard from you.

I’d still like to get this problem fixed, so I can then start using Boot Runner.

Do you still want me as a paying customer?

Regards,

Ticklor

Let’s go back to the beginning to see if this can be resolved. Does everything work normally if you go to System Preferences->Start Disk and select the Windows volume then reboot? Have you tried disabling SIP and see if that resolves the issue? Boot Runner makes selecting it easier, but doesn’t make it bootable.

tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me.

When I tried selecting the Windows volume as a boot volume, OSX gave me the following error:

“You can’t change the startup disk to the selected disk. The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk.”

I also tried disabling SIP, but the problem still persists.

Regards,

Ticklor

Thanks. Also, how did you install Windows? Did you do it via Boot Camp assistant?

Please open Terminal and run this command and send me the output:

diskutil list

tim

Hi Tim,

I honestly don’t recall how I installed Windows.

Here’s the screen print of the Terminal:

Regards,

Ticklor

The partition table looks correct. Please try and mount the EFI partition by running this command in Terminal and entering in your password:

sudo diskutil mount disk4s1

You should see a volume named “EFI” mount on your desktop. If you get an error, then the EFI partition is corrupt.

tim

Hi Tim,

I can now see a volulme named “EFI” on the desktop; also, when I go to the “Startup Disk” screen in System Preferences, the “BOOTCAMP Windows” volume is no longer greyed out. This is very encouraging!

Does this mean that Boot Runner should now be able to boot into Windows? If so, you’ve got another customer.

Regards,

Ticklor

Sounds like it! Does it reboot to Windows when you select Windows in Startup Disk Pref Pane?

tim

Hi Tim,

Sadly not; even though the partition isn’t greyed out any longer, when I select it and click Restart, I still receive the “You can’t change the startup disk to the selected disk. The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk” error.

Regards,

Ticklor

Hi Tim,

What’s next?

Regards,

Ticklor

Hi Tim,

I have a great idea: why don’t we do the rest of the resolution for this issue over the phone?

That way, we can get it done in probably less than an hour, which would mean that you can close this ticket sooner rather than later. As for me, I won’t have to wait weeks just to get a configuration issue corrected.

I can be reached at 519-631-1944, so please, give me a call. I’m retired, so I can be reached 24/7.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Ticklor