Restore Bootcamp partition

Recently I decided to expand my boot camp partition on my MacBook Pro running the latest Catalina OS. Made a mirror image backup and saved it to the MacBook hard drive and an SSD drive as a precaution. Then I deleted the Boot Camp partition. When I attempted to create a new Boot Camp partition I found that I needed to download a Windows 10 ISO to proceed and later required going through the lengthy windows setup. Restoration worked 99% ok with the latest Winclone. For the future can I avoid needing the Windows 10 ISO file and the lengthy windows setup for this procedure? Thanks.

Why did you need the Windows ISO?

tim

The Mac OS required it to setup a new boot camp partition. Couldn’t find another work around.

You can use Disk Utility to create the boot camp partition:

tim

I attempted to use Mac latest Catalina OS Disk Utility but it created a Mac formatted partition and not the NTFS formatted windows partition required by boot camp. So I erased the new partition and went to the Boot Camp utility. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly that restoring the Winclone mirror image required an NTFS partition of adequate size as the destination. Would restoring the mirror image have automatically reformatted the Mac partition into a Boot Camp partition and avoided the need for the ISO file? Thanks.

Got it! Thanks very much.

1 Like