Restore not booting

Hi there, I have a macbook pro 2017, and i’m trying to move my windows 10 to an extranal ssd. I’ve managed to use image restore to restore my windows 10 iso to an external ssd. I was also able to create a EFI partition on the first parition of the ssd successfully, however when i try to boot into windows, i get a black screen for about a minute and my macbook shuts off. I have tried disabling SIP but it dosent help. ANy ideas how to fix this?

External booting is tricky and doesn’t work with all combinations of hardware, drive and interface. What external SSD are you using and how are you connecting it (USB-C, USB, firewire, etc).

tim

I’m using the external seagate slim 500GB ssd, which uses a USB C to USB C type cable, and is formatted with a GUID Partition Map. It currently contains the following partitions:

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS Untitled 16.8 GB disk2s2
3: Apple_HFS Untitled2 1.1 GB disk2s3
4: Linux Filesystem 225.5 GB disk2s4
5: Microsoft Basic Data BOOT 8.6 GB disk2s5
6: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 247.8 GB disk2s6

and partition 6 is where i’m storing the windows iso

It should work with multiple partitions, but the Linux one concerns me a bit. How are you booting to it? Do you have a custom boot loader?

I’ve actually erased the linux partition as I’m intending to install the next release in the future, this includes the linux boot loader as well however the issue still persists.