The instructions to solve the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error don't work for me

So after dealing with the inability to run SysPrep, and dealing with WinClone not seeing my BootCamp volume to clone it, and then dealing with BootCamp refusing to download drivers for my new machine, I’m now having the “Stop Code: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE” problem… I’m following the solution here: https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/resolving-inaccessible_boot_device-error-after-restoring-winclone-image/

I’m about ready to give up and just reinstall Windows from scratch. This is becoming very tiresome!

Anyway, I’ve gotten the BootCamp drivers, and the Windows 10 ISO, and I’ve created the USB stick as instructed in the knowledge-base article I linked above… Now I’m on the “Boot from the USB Flash Drive” step.

The computer locks up when I boot from the USB device! I cannot hit fn+Shift+F10 because literally NOTHING WORKS! I see the screen that asks me to select the language/keyboard/etc., and there is a Next button to click on, and LITERALLY NOTHING WORKS!!! The keyboard doesn’t work, the mouse doesn’t work. NOTHING WORKS!!! I can’t even press the Caps Lock key to get the light on that key to turn on. I have to hold down the power button for 10 seconds until the computer turns itself off… There is literally nothing else I can do.

To clarify – there is NO MOUSE CURSOR on the screen, and the trackpad does NOTHING. Also, the keyboard is TOTALLY DARK, and NONE of the keys do ANYTHING.

So how do I keep this stupid thing from locking up when I boot to the Windows USB stick?!

It’s a MacBook Pro 2018 running Mojave 10.14.2, and the Windows USB stick was created with the October 2018 version of the Windows 10 ISO - that’s the most recent one that Microsoft would let me download.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!!! This is driving me NUTS!! I just want it to WORK!! I thought WinClone was supposed to be SIMPLE!! It’s been MANY DAYS NOW, and I STILL DON’T HAVE WINDOWS ON MY NEW MAC!!! At this point, it would’ve been quicker to install Windows from scratch and re-download and manually install all my software again!! WTF?!!

Ok, so after a LOT of Googling, it appears that perhaps the keyboard and mouse require USB 3 drivers that aren’t present when booting from the USB stick that I’m told to create?

How do I put these drivers on there?

Thanks…

Well, I was able to find a USB-C to USB-2 converter, and that allowed me to plug in a standard Windows keyboard and get through the instructions on how to fix the inaccessible disk error.

Y’all really need to update your documentation - that USB problem exists for Windows 7, 8, and 10, and for ALL MacBooks since 2015!! Might be an important addition to the standard procedure, getting some damn USB 3 drivers working so the built-in keyboard and mouse will work…

Anyway, Windows is finally working for me. Only took 4 days and an external keyboard to get it, but I finally got it.

Thanks for the good info and sorry it was so frustrating. We will update our docs to make them better and address this issue.

tim