Unable to Save Image

Hello!

I recently purchased Winclone 6 Standard. I am trying to backup my Bootcamp partition by saving it as an image but I have been unable to do so successfully. I have saved my logs and am able to send them but to summarize there the image save says it completes successfully but the image is only 385KB and uncapable of being restored to a disk image. The logs say there is an issue mounting the drive and I am unsure how to solve it. I have successfully run “chkdsk /b” and am struggling to get Winclone 6 to run properly.

localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Error opening '/dev/disk0s3': Resource busy
Failed to mount '/dev/disk0s3': Resource busy
Access is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.
The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.

Thanks for your help!

Are you using a 3rd party NTFS drive or anything that could prevent the Boot Camp partition from being unmounted?

tim

Thank you for the advice Tim, it was indeed Fuse preventing the mount of the drive during the creation of the Winclone image. I am now able to successfully create a Winclone Image, however I am running into an issue where I am unable to restore the Winclone Image to a Disk Image.

Right at the end of the process of converting the Winclone Image to a Disk Image, I receive a “Restore Error” because of a “Restore VBR Error: -5”. When I examine the logs to figure out what is going wrong, I see the following. It seems to be that the issue arises with the mounting of the removable disk created during the restore process and I’m not sure why. Any help is greatly appreciated!

localhost Winclone 6[17573]: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Updating BCD+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Mounting EFI on disk2
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: mount point is /Volumes/EFI
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Copying BCD to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Copying BCD done.
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: unmounting EFI partition
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Completed EFI update
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Updating MBR On Device
localhost Winclone 6[17573]: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Updating MBR+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Starting sector is 411648
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: updating MBR and partition info
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: /dev/disk2s2 is the in_ntfspartition
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Opening device
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Reading BIOS partition table
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: blocksize is 512
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Reading GPT Header
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Reading GPT
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: setting signature to aa55
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Changing to standard guard MBR
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: Checking MBR to see if it needs to be updated.
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: MBR does not need to be updated
localhost Winclone 6[17573]: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Restoring Volume Boot Sector+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
localhost com.twocanoes.WincloneHelper[960]: could not open /dev/disk2s2 for writing out VBR
localhost Winclone 6[17573]: Error Error Domain=WincloneHelperError Code=6 "Restore VBR Error: -5" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Restore VBR Error: -5}
localhost Winclone 6[17573]: Mounting /dev/disk2s2
localhost Winclone 6[17573]: Setting the system to allow sleep...
localhost Winclone 6[17573]: Mounting /dev/disk2s2 Finished

I was originally going to post this as its own thread as I thought this was a different issue (since I removed my FUSE installation from System Preferences) but I decided to put it here for completeness.

The volume boot record is needed for WIM based restores on legacy systems, but not when restoring to disk images since they are never booted to. The error means that the partition can’t be written to directly to update the volume boot record. I’ll investigate a bit more, but this should have no effect on whether it is a good image or not.

I’ll do some testing to see if I can replicate the issue here by restoring a WIM image to a Mac that does legacy boot of Windows.

tim

I know why I am getting this message. I don’t have enough disk space to save the image. Winclone needs to be smarter so it can give you an obvious error message telling me I don’t have enough disk space to complete the backup. A suggestion to Winclone developers for a more useful message that identifies the actual problem instead of a generic error backup failed.

1 Like

Thank you B9bot1 and tperfitt for your help! After removing FUSE from my system, I am able to save a Winclone Image and successfully convert it to a disk image, granted I have enough space to store the disk image :man_facepalming: