Unable to verify startup disk - Newly Cloned

I followed the direction step by step to take my windows Bootcamp partition from my old Macs HD and clone it to my new MacBook. It is an external drive.

1. Create winclone image per the instructions
  2. Created bootcamp windows partition (200gb, exfat) in disk util
  3. Restored image to the partition
  4. Rebooted.
  5. Validated that the portion had renamed according to the Winclone Image and file format (no NTFS after restore from image)
  6. Reboot again, holding down Option key
  7. Select the Windows portion
  8. Error “Unable to verify startup disk” my only option is to select a different startup disk, I select the Mac OS portion and boots back into MacOS.

Any thoughts or ideas? Did I miss something in these steps? I still have the external HD with the Bootcamp partition on it (and can boot to it when plug in to USB).

Any help would be great.

A couple of questions. When you said:

After restoring, it wasn’t NTFS? That is strange.

Also:

Is the error in Windows or in macOS startup recovery? If it is macOS startup recovery, this means you need disable secure boot for Windows.

Was a typo. It was NTFS after restore.

Was windows, blue screen error.

-rp-

tperfitt

February 11

A couple of questions. When you said:

rcperkinsjr:

• Validated that the portion had renamed according to the Winclone Image and file format (no NTFS after restore from image)
    After restoring, it wasn’t NTFS? That is strange.

Also:

rcperkinsjr:

1. Error “Unable to verify startup disk” my only option is to select a different startup disk, I select the Mac OS portion and boots back into MacOS.
    Is the error in Windows or in macOS startup recovery? If it is macOS startup recovery, this means you need disable secure boot for Windows.

Update from me:

Assuming you have a “new” MacBook with a T2 Security chip, you need to boot into Recovery mode (CMD-R) and DISABLE the Security features. I had completed my install and had things working, but after re-enabling security, the Mac refused to recognize the “external” device (even though it was in fact a partition ON the main SSD). I don’t know if this is a Mac thing, or that it simply does not like seeing “unsigned” operating systems at all. But after re-DISabling the security boot features, I restarted and have been working just fine for the past weeks.

1 Like