Upgrade from Winclone 5

Is there a discount for upgrading to Winclone 6 from 5? I purchased version 5 a handful of months ago and the software has never worked properly. First, every time I tried to copy my Windows 10 from my Boot Camp partition on OS X to an external SSD drive I would get the following error message:

“Error - Copying BCD file failed. See the system log for more information”

I finally got it to work somewhat by deleting my existing Boot Camp partition and performing a clean install of Windows 10 (luckily I did not have that much stored on my Windows partition).

However, a short time later I could not access Windows from my external drive at all. 9 times out of 10 I would be greeted with a blue screen that said:

“Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. Error Code: Inaccessible Boot Device”

I finally gave up and then just went back to running Windows via my internal SSD drive on my Mac.

Would upgrading to Winclone 6 help or would I just be spinning my wheels? It’s been very frustrating just trying to get version 5 to do what it advertises.

And yes, I was in contact with support regarding my issues and while they were responsive, my issues were never fully solved.

Booting Windows externally can be problematic. It can depend on the version of Windows, the external drive, and the specific Mac. I have used the Samsung T3 USB-3 drive with success.

Upgrading to Winclone 6 shouldn’t make a difference when migrating to an external drive, as that operation has not changed.

tim

Booting Windows externally was the only reason I purchased Winclone 5. I saw no mention that it could be problematic prior to purchasing.

Anyway, for what it’s worth I’m using a 2013 Mac Pro, Windows 10 Pro, and a Samsung Evo 500 GB SSD in a USB 3 enclosure. I also tried the drive mounted via Thunderbolt with the same result.

We do have this support doc: