Volume to Volume Cloning Error

Hi all,

I’m currently trying to copy my internal Bootcamp partition onto an external SSD. I have already copied my mac os onto the external and created a boot camp partition on it. The new partition is 15 GB larger than the existing partition. I get this error when I try to do volume to volume cloning:

Restore Error
There was an error during the disk to disk clone. There may be a problem with one of the volumes or the disks.

Any ideas?

Check out the log and see if there are any errors:

log show --style syslog --predicate ‘process contains[cd] “winclone”’ --info --last 2d

(you can adjust the argument of “2d” from 2 days to other time periods that you want the log, like “10m” for the last 10 minutes or 3h for the last 3 hours).

Thanks for your response. Would you mind breaking your instructions down a bit further? I’m not sure where to type in what you have shown.

I’m getting the following when I copy/paste into terminal:

log: Bad predicate: ‘process

sorry, it is the “smart quotes”. Try this

log show --style syslog --predicate 'process contains[cd] "winclone"' --info --last 2d

(you can adjust the argument of “2d” from 2 days to other time periods that you want the log, like “10m” for the last 10 minutes or 3h for the last 3 hours).

Thanks for the reply. It returns a bunch of stuff and then this:

2018-11-06 00:21:26.665975-0500 localhost Winclone[718]: [com.twocanoes.winclone.Application] Helper tool error: There was an error during the disk to disk clone. There may be a problem with one of the volumes or the disks.
2018-11-06 00:21:26.666146-0500 localhost Winclone[718]: Error Error Domain=TaskError Code=5 “There was an error during the disk to disk clone. There may be a problem with one of the volumes or the disks.” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=There was an error during the disk to disk clone. There may be a problem with one of the volumes or the disks., standardOutput=NTFS volume version: 3.1
Cluster size : 4096 bytes
Current volume size: 150796759040 bytes (150797 MB)
Current device size: 150796763136 bytes (150797 MB)
ERROR: Output device is too small (129214971904) to fit the NTFS image (150796759552).
, exitCode=1, standardError=ntfsclone v2017.3.23 (libntfs-3g)

My current bootcamp size is 114 GB and the new partition is 129 GB

Here is the error:

ERROR: Output device is too small (129214971904) to fit the NTFS image (150796759552).

It is saying the source drive is 140 GB and the destination is 120 GB.

tim

The destination is 129 GB and the source is 114 GB. I’m not sure why it thinks that.Untitled

I think it is an issue with how we preflight size testing. I’ll investigate and fix in an upcoming release.

tim

Thanks. Any idea how long that would take roughly?

If you open up Activity Monitor and click on Disk, you can see the Data written and read on the bottom, which can give you an idea of how it is progressing.

tim

Sorry, I meant how long would it take for the update to be released?

In the next few weeks. It will just do a better estimating of the size. Did you make a larger partition and see if it worked?

I’ve installed the update and am now running 7.3. I’m having the same problem. Any ideas?

1 Like

I am having the same problem. Version 7.3 (42014)
Source volume is 2TB, 310GB used, Destination volume is 1TB SSD.

I was able to restore from image but that’s not bootable. When I try a volume to volume clone I get the same error OP reported. I am on an iMac (not Pro), 4.2GHZ 24BG RAM.

1 Like

Hi Tperfitt,

Any solution to this? I can’t afford to repartition my drive and lose space on the Mac OS side. I purchased this software purely for this purpose and I likely won’t be needing it again. I’m not very happy with this. __

1 Like

Please try with the latest 7.2 and see if it resolves the issue.

tim

Hi tperfitt,

I’ve updated to 7.3.2 and am having the same error:

localhost Winclone[491]: [com.twocanoes.winclone:Application] Helper tool error: There was an error during the disk to disk clone. There may be a problem with one of the volumes or the disks.

It looks like Winclone is reading the size of the source partition rather than reading the required size. When I choose the source partition it shows the partition size as 150.8 GB (the same volume noted in the error output) with 114.1 GB used. It is reading the destination partition size correctly though.

Curious, I’m having the same problem, so hoping this would be resolved.

Have an internal 170GBused/2TBcapacity bootcamp that I want to clone to a 500GB blank partition on a drive. It gives me the same useless “There was an error during the disk to disk clone. There may be a problem with one of the volumes or the disks.” captain obvious kind of error.

I just want to clone a bootcamp partition, thats it, not earn a career in IT. I have things to do.

There does seem to be an issue with comparing the drive sizes in some situations. I’ll investigate further. In the meantime, create an image then restore it should resolve the issue.

tim