Winclone 7 failure: migration from HFS+ to APFS

I am attempting to move my Bootcamp partition from a MacBook Pro 2015 (file system HFS+) to a new MacBook Pro 2018 (file system APFS) without success.

1. I created a 250 GB MSDOS partition on the 2018 laptop.

2. I created a WIM backup on the 2015 laptop and restored it on the 2018 laptop using Winclone 7 without incident.

3. A device appears in the bootable devices list when the 2018 laptop is rebooted with the key held down. Selecting that device, however, launches an Apple Logo that first goes to a gray screen and then (without intervention) reboots into MacOS.

4. Disabling SIP and using Winclone to make the partition EFI Bootable has no effect.

5. Making a Block-based backup on the 2015 laptop and attempting to restore on the 2018 Laptop fails with the message “The image you are trying to restore requires a minimum volume size of 242.1 GB, but you are trying to restore to a volume that has a size of 249.6 GB.” NOTICE THAT 242 IS LESS THAN 249.5.

Of possible interest the fact that this one day old laptop was initially unable to create an MSDOS partition. Disk first aid of the Macintosh HD partition generated a list of errors of the form:

Checking the snapshots.
Checking snapshot 1 of 7.
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_os_version (0x0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_revision (0)
Checking snapshot 2 of 7.
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_os_version (0x0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_revision (0)
etc.

Re-initializing the laptop down to the bones (boot with cmd-R, erase the drive, reinstall MacOS) repaired the damage and it is with this repaired device the the above results were obtained.

Help!

I believe the issue is secure boot. We have a fix in the upcoming 7.2 release, but in the meantime, turning off secure boot should allow you to boot info Windows:

Set it to “No Security” and then try booting into Windows.

tim