Winclone 7 restore breaks Bootcamp Assistant ability to partition or restore disk

I used Winclone 7.3.2 to restore a Windows 10 Bootcamp installation on my iMac Pro with MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. The restore went perfectly, I can boot back and forth between Mac and Windows.

However, I noticed that the restore process has broken Bootcamp Assistant’s ability to manage the startup disk. If I want to delete the Windows Bootcamp partition and restore the now empty space to the main Mac portion, I cannot. BC Assistant gives this error message; “The Startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.”

Is this a bug or a known limitation? If so, what is the procedure to delete the Bootcamp partition and restore the free space of my SSD startup disk back to the Mac main volume?

If you go into Disk Utility, you can delete the BootCamp partition and then Boot Camp Assistant should work fine.

tim

So is this a known bug or limitation? I don’t see anywhere in the documentation or knowledge base that restoring will mean not being able to use Bootcamp Assistant afterwards.

Erich

It shouldn’t. I am not sure how the boot camp partition was created. I was trying to help resolve the issue to using boot camp assistant.

tim

It shouldn’t what? I’m not sure what you mean. The bootcamp partition was created with Bootcamp Assistant to install Windows 10. Something in the Winclone restore process is not restoring properly, otherwise BA should still be useable, shouldn’t it?

Should I submit this as a bug report?

Erich

Thanks for the clarification. We will do some testing and see if we can resolve on our end in an update. It is possible that Winclone makes Windows bootable on some Macs that Boot Camp assistant doesn’t recognize (for example, the 2012 iMac Boot Camp assistant doesn’t support EFI booting, but the Mac does, so we set EFI for better compatibility with Windows).

tim

I just want to be clear, the restore works and the restored Windows boots properly. The only thing not working is using Boot Assistant after the restore to manage the Windows partition and installation as would be possible before the restore.