Winclone Boot Camp Procedure

Hello,

I’ve just purchased Winclone and I’m new to the cloning process. I’ve checked the knowledge base articles and I’m confused. Here’s what I’m trying to do.

I’m going to be erasing and using the Apple Giveback program to get an Apple credit. Then, I will be buying a refurb mac. When it gets here I’m hoping to be able to install windows with Boot camp assistant and then plop my saved image into the newly created windows 10 boot camp partition.

What I hoped to be able to do is:

1. Make an image of my current boot camp partition.
  2. Save it on my time machine backup.
  3. Put it on my new machine using the time machine backup.
  4. Create the boot camp windows 10 basic system.
  5. Restore my winclone image into the new windows system.

Is this possible? I’m mainly confused about the sysprep stuff that says make a boot camp image BEFORE running it and also to run sysprep before making an image.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff

You have the procedure right. The sysprep before creating an image is done in case there is a failure with sysprep. Sometimes sysprep can fail partially through and it can mess up Windows. If you create an image prior to running sysprep and there is an issue, you can then just restore the image.

tim

Hi Tim,

This is exactly what was confusing me.

Sysprep should or shouldn’t be run before creating an image?

Or only before restoring from one?

It’s supposed to keep windows from getting confused?

Jeff

Hi Tim,

So you recommend I make an initial clone of my boot camp partition without sysprepping first. Then run sysprep in windows and if it works go back to mac and make a new clone of the sysprepped boot camp system?

The videos make it look so easy to transfer my current boot camp system to a new computer. I understand that old and new have different hardware drivers that windows will have to figure out. But sysprep at least will keep windows from basically rejected the old hardware profile?

You could do it that way. I was recommending an initial Winclone image prior to running SysPrep as a safety net in case anything goes wrong. The process would be like this:

1. Create Winclone image.
  2. Run sysprep. If sysprep fails and makes the drive unbootable, restore image from #1.
  3. Create Winclone image.
  4. Restore winclone image from #1 on new drive.
  5. If all is good, celebrate.
  6. If there is an issue, restore image from #3.
  7. If there is an issue, install old drive and try booting.
  8. If fails, restore image from #1.

tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your help. I’m happy that the process I’ve mapped echoes yours exactly.

I’m doing this for a new mac that I’ll be getting in a couple weeks but I’m doing the winclone and shutdown stuff so I can ship this one out Monday. I’m doing the Apple giveback program and buying a refurb once I have the apple gift card on my account.

I’ve already got a non-sysprepped image in case things go wrong during the sysprep. If all goes well, I’ll delete that image, make a new sysprepped image, save it all on my time machine backup and then go through the preparing your mac for trade in stuff.

Am I correct that you only get three tries at sysprepping?

Jeff

I believe there is a limit to the number of times you can run sysprep, but that can be reset in the registry. the bigger issue is if sysprep runs and puts the machine in a state you can’t get out of.

tim

Hi Tim,

With a few minor issues, I finally got sysprep to work and finish. The main problem I’ve seen is the windows fails to validate which seems to be about the microsoft apps that get installed by default. Once they were removed, it ran fine and finished without errors.

I’ve gotten my boot camp sysprepped and wincloned. Now the machine has been erased and shipped off to the Apple Giveback people.

The real test will come when I finally get the new mac (refurbed) set it up with my TM backup, set up and install windows in boot camp and then restore the boot camp image onto it.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Jeff

1 Like