Winclone Migration issue

I tried to do a Windows 10 migration from a 2015 MacBook Pro (with Mojave) to a 2019 MacBook Pro with Catalina.

This was my first time doing this.
I even read your tips on doing a migration.

It DID suggest doing a sys prep run first, but it appeared (to me) to offer a catch 22.

The sys prep suggested I do a winclone image backup first, but the tips suggested I do an sys prep before I do the backup !
That left me in a quandary and I opted to not do the sys prep.

I successfully made the image backup and then ran the restore.

After a reboot into Windows I got a blue screen stating that a digital signature of a file could not be verified. The file in Windows\system32\drivers was prl_strg.sys. (Error 0xc0000428)

Since I knew this was a file I did not need, I did manage to get windows running after I pressed one or more keys after pressing F8 in startup settings.

Thinking I was doing the right thing, I deleted the file in question and rebooted and realized I had made it worse - as it led to an “inaccessible boot device” error

I now have now discovered your page here:

Do I understand this correctly:

I should do a winclone image first before doing sys prep

THEN do a sys prep with OOBE and generalize turned on and shutdown at the end

This will make the windows 10 install force me to start windows from scratch - but that is what I want for the new computer?

Then do another winclone image and the restore THAT to a freshly formatted FAT32 partition on the new Mac

It looks like the prl_strg.sys is a Parallels driver, so I surprised it made things worse. The inaccessible boot device issue is a known issue for new Macs and you can inject the SSD driver after restoring:

https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/inject-applessd-driver-in-winclone-8-2/

No need to sysprep!

tim

Tim,
Thanks for your reply!
I DID do the SSD driver inject but did have a problem: I downloaded the necessary files from apple for this T2 equipped Mac.
Your webpage says I should select the applessd.sys file but when I used Winclone to inject it, that file was greyed out in the open dialog! I then choose the folder that is was in, and that appeared to work.
How do I get around the greyed out open dialog?

That is a problem with the documentation. You should just select the enclosing folder and it will automatically find the matching drivers.

tim

Hi,

I redid the migration using this website - which should (I think) the place to start with anyone with a new T2 chip!
https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/migrating-windows-10-to-a-16-macbook-pro-2019-with-winclone-8/

It worked MUCH better!

I have not been able to boot into Windows and all looked good until I tried the last step to install the final drivers.
That was necessary because Windows could not see the networking hardware and I could thus not get online.

When I tried running setup from the bootcamp folder at the highest level of the flash drive I was told the WinPEDriver folder was not found

When I ran setup with folders arranged exactly like they came from apple I got this:

I even found the bootcamp.msi file (yes it was where it was supposed to be) and end told the package was ‘not valid’

Please help….

On a side note, I also do not see anything on the MacBook Pro 2019’s touch bar when in Windows.
Yes, I followed all your instructions and moved the touch bar folder and ran the batch file successfully.

Hi,

I redid the migration using this website - which should (I think) the place to start with anyone with a new T2 chip!
https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/migrating-windows-10-to-a-16-macbook-pro-2019-with-winclone-8/

It worked MUCH better!

I have not been able to boot into Windows and all looked good until I tried the last step to install the final drivers.
That was necessary because Windows could not see the networking hardware and I could thus not get online.

When I tried running setup from the bootcamp folder at the highest level of the flash drive I was told the WinPEDriver folder was not found

When I ran setup with folders arranged exactly like they came from apple I got this:

I even found the bootcamp.msi file (yes it was where it was supposed to be) and end told the package was ‘not valid’

Please help….

On a side note, I also do not see anything on the MacBook Pro 2019’s touch bar when in Windows.
Yes, I followed all your instructions and moved the touch bar folder and ran the batch file successfully.

I have not seen that error before. It can’t find the files to install. Did you just double click on the setup.exe?

tim

I followed you instructions precisely and most definitely double clicked in setup.exe.
I even go so far as to browse for the file it’s looking for and tell it to use that and still the same error - which say the package was “not valid”

Any other suggestions? Windows 10 is otherwise working - but it’s tough to run a computer when it cannot find the networking hardware.

Navigate to the windows driver for networking and right click on the inf file in Windows, then right click and select Install.

tim

I’m not sure what you mean by “windows driver for networking”
Do you mean go into Device Manager and find the driver for networking in there?
And what inf file in Windows?