Windows 10 boot trouble after Winclone Make EFI

I’ve been running maxOS with Paragon NTFS for Mac and windows 10 on my 2018 mbp since April 2019 with no trouble until yesterday when my Bootcamp boot option disappeared. I blindly applied Winclone 7.1 Standard > Make EFI Bootable because it saved me in a similar situation with a different machine last year. Now I have an EFI boot option in addition to the Mac option but it lands me on a blue Windows 10 trouble booting screen and I don’t know how to proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

diskutil list

Last login: Sat Dec 28 11:10:32 on ttys001
Eds-MacBook-Pro:~ edslatt$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme 1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 650.0 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 350.2 GB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: APFS Container Scheme - +650.0 GB disk1
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 545.3 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 44.4 MB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 510.4 MB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume VM 1.1 GB disk1s4

Eds-MacBook-Pro:~ edslatt$

If it is a 2018 MacBook Pro, then it is definitely EFI bootable. The partition table looks correct as well. What error message does the blue screen show? Is there other devices / storage attached?

tim

Thanks for your quick response!

Please find a picture of the blue screen below.
There are no peripherals attached to the machine.
It might be worth noting that before the “Make EFI Bootable” operation, the non-mac boot option was “bootcamp” and now its “efi boot”.

So I made a bootable windows 10 usb disk hoping to use a repair off of it to get fixed up but it doesn’t seem to have the drivers required to mount the mbp drive.

Any other recommendations? I’m running out of ideas other that wiping the whole partition and starting over. I really don’t want to do that because 1) it’ll be a pain to get everything back the way I like it and 2) I still don’t know why I lost it so I could lose it again next week.

Is there a way for me to get a bootable windows 10 usb disk as built with the proper 2018 mbp drivers by boot camp assistant?

SOLVED - got back to happy mbp with stable windows 10 and osx boot options as below
captured these elements for the next time I have trouble

problem - windows bootoption disappeared from 2018 mbp
suspected bootcamp partition itself was fine
mbp just stopped showing it as an option to boot
exacerbated the problem screwing around for a few days
note - disabled SIP for a period but don’t think I had to and re-enabled it in the end

tricks
trick osx into redoing some partition stuff by resizing the osx partition by a trivial amount
andrewbrettwatson index.php apple2 Mac 177-d1c186c77340f86e5dc33a89f8d91ef4 - ask moderator for left link
get apple ssd driver for windows 10 using bootcamp assistant to make a usb driver of supporting software
copy the 2GB drive of supporting software onto the windows 10 boot usb drive
start windows 10 install (but don’t finish) to load applessd driver
/Volumes/WIN10/WindowsSupport/WinPEDriver/AppleSSD64/AppleSSD.inf
might have to remove and re-plugin the usb drive with the supporting software to be able to browse to it
use windows 10 recovery terminal to mount efi partition and restore working boot files to it from bootcamp partiion

challenges
stock bootable usb drive doesn’t include mbp drivers
no hard drive - diskpart list volume only gives the usb drive
no keyboard or mouse - have to plugin external usb keyboard
mbp won’t boot a usb stick by default… have to enable it
ninjastik support 2018-macbook-pro-boot-from-usb

• ask moderator for above link
    mbp won’t boot a sd card via a sd card reader dongle
    I bought a native usbc drive and this worked (below)

software
osx bootcamp assistant
to get 2GB of windows drivers - I wrote to a usb stick
windows 10 iso + native osx commands + usbc memory stick
to make bootable windows 10 usb drive
top-password blog create-windows-10-bootable-usb-from-iso-on-mac - ask moderator for left link
method 2
osx recovery mode to enable usb boot
ninjastik support 2018-macbook-pro-boot-from-usb - ask moderator for left link
windows 10 install (start only)
to load apple ssd driver
windows 10 recovery terminal
to mount efi partition and copy boot files from working bootcamp partition to the efi partition

hardware - 2018 mbp bootcamp repair kit
usb keyboard with usbc adapter
usbc memory stick

1 Like