Windows 10 USB Installer for 2019 16" MacBook Pro with T2 Chip

I am a WinClone user but this is just a request for a little clarification on information I just read in Two Canoes articles: “Boot Camp Changes on T2 Macs…” - “Create a Windows 10 Bootable USB Flash drive on a Mac” - “Migrating Windows 10 to a 16” MacBook Pro (2019) with WinClone 8"

The “Boot Camp Changes” articles seems to indicate the injecting the driver for the AppleSSD can be avoided by adding the AutoAttend.xml file back in to the Windows 10 Installer USB stick??? It also seems to indicate that all the needed drivers will then load correctly (except for IntelMEI, which can be removed from the drivers folder")

The same article also directs us to a link for the “Create a Windows 10 Bootable USB…” article stating that the article elaborates on the process.

The “create a Bootable…” article also directs us to add an AutoAttend.xml files to the bootable USB installer and to remove the IntelMEI driver. So far, so good…

It then states “To inject the drivers, the Mac must be booted from the USB flash drive” The article sort of stops at that point and provides several links to other articles, one of which describes how to inject the drivers…

My confusion is this: Does one need to add an AutoAttend.xml file to the bootable USB AND ALSO inject the drivers???

The “Migrating Windows 10…” takes a slightly different approach but includes an “Injecting Drivers” section that includes a script to perform the injecting. I realize that this article pertains to injecting drivers into an existing Boot Camp partition once it has been cloned back to a different machine and may not apply creating a bootable Windows 10 Installer USB.

I appreciate the mountains of good info to be found on the Two Canoes site, I just need to get a little clarification if I could…

Thanks

John

Those articles are referring to an older process. We now have driver injection built into Winclone and you should be prompted to inject drivers after the clone is complete.

tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

I was actually referring to creating a bootable USB installer to install Windows 10 on a 2019 MacBook Pro WITHOUT using Boot Camp Assistant, rather than creating a clone.

I have my drive partitioned in a couple of APFE containers so Boot Camp Assistant will not work for me.

I was unclear on whether it was necessary to add the missing AutoUnattend.xml as well as, inject the drivers to be able to install Windows 10 natively from the USB drive.

After further exploring, I found that I was able to complete the install by adding the two downloaded windows support folders (done via Boot Camp Assistant) and then removing the “IntelMEI” folder from the “$WinPEDrivers$” folder. Meaning I did not seem to need to add an “AutoUnattend.xml” file or Inject the drivers to get the install to complete…

Not really important now that I got the install to complete. At the time I was still struggling.

Thanks Again

John