I have restored my bootcamp image, which seems to run fine when booted via dual boot, but when attempting to run in VMware, I get a blue screen every time I attempt to install the VMware tools.
Below are the detailed steps I took (for moot reasons I had to install two different versions of Windows 10 (1803, March 2019 and 1809, March 2019).
- Install Windows 10 1803 via Boot Camp Assistant
- Activate Windows
- Backup Windows 10 1803 with Winclone
- Remove Boot Camp partition with Boot Camp Assistant
- Install Windows 10 1809 via Bootcamp Assistant
- Backup Windows 10 1809 with Winclone
- Restore Windows 10 1803 Winclone backup to BootCamp partition
- Create BootCamp VM with VMware Fusion 11
- Start Installer for VMware Tools
Blue screen every time in the middle of the VMware Tools installation
Has anyone had issues with restoring and doing a VMware Boot Camp VM?
I have not seen that before. I have seen it where it wouldn’t boot on hardware but would boot in a VM. Can you see what the blue screen error message is?
Sorry for the late reply… Below is the screen I get after loading in VMware. The Winclone backup is a barebones Windows 1803 Enterprise installation, activated and Boot Camp drivers installed. I restored the image and then immediately opened the Boot Camp partition in VMware (version 11: latest).
This seems to imply is has something to do with 1803:
Ok, I thought I had the same problem with 1809, but I’ll verify.
Ok, To me this does not seem to be a VMware issue.
- Installing Windows 10 1803/1809 (March 2019 version) from scratch runs fine in Boot Camp and in VMware when creating a Boot Camp VM
- When restoring 1803/1809 with Winclone, there seems to be blue screens (sometimes) when booting into Boot Camp and 100% when creating a Boot Camp VM with VMware
Does it give the same bluescreen error (PAGE FAULT)?