Problem cloning BOOTCAMP to PCIE SSD Mac Pro 2019

I have successfully installed windows 10 using Bootcamp Assistant on Mac Pro 2019 Catalina 10.15.1 Beta. I have a 4TB Accelsior 4M2 SSD installed in a PCIE slot and wish to move BOOTCAMP to one of the 1TB SSD’s installed in the 4M2. I have tried Winclone Volume to Volume cloning and also Create and Restore Image to move Bootcamp to the SSD. The result is always the same. When I try to boot the from the 4M2 partition, I firstly get the normal windows logo and spinning wheel for about 10 seconds and then screen refreshes to Windows Logo and larger spinning wheel for about 2 seconds and then blank screen. The Mac Pro is now stuck and has to be powered down manually. I have tried both WIM and block based cloning with identical results. I believe many Mac Catalina users would prefer their bootcamp folder to be on a separate drive from Catalina and Winclone should be able to do this. Please help.

Can you use bootcamp assistant to install on the SSD in the PCIE slot? Does that work and does it boot?

tim

Thanks Tim,

Bootcamp assistant will only allow windows 10 installation on the Mac Pro 2019 to the Apple SSD. It asks you to disconnect all drives other than the Apple SSD before it will continue. I did this and successfully installed windows 10 on the Apple SSD BOOTCAMP partition. I then reconnected the internal PCIE Accelsior 4M2 4TB SSD. I then tried to use Winclone to move BOOTCAMP I had just created on the Apple SSD to the Accelsior SSD. Winclone ran OK without any errors or warnings and created a clone BOOTCAMP partition on the 4M2 SSD. The problem is that I could not boot windows from the 4M2 SSD.

I have since solved my problem by using Hasleo WinToUSB when running Windows 10 from the Apple SSD and cloning by sectors from Apple SSD to the Accelsior 4M2. I then used Bootcamp Assistant to remove BOOTCAMP from the Apple SSD and am now happily booting windows 10 from the Accelsior 4M2.

I believe that Winclone in its present form does not correctly clone BOOTCAMP partitions on the Apple SSD of the Mac Pro 2019. Hope you can fix it soon.

Noel.

Was there ever a solution to this? I am having the same issue, need to move bootcamp partition from Mac NVME SSD’s to a PCIE drive on 2019 MacPro to free up space on the boot drive. I have failed in several attempts. I could not get WinToUSB to see the PCIE drive and am reluctant to buy the latest version of WinClone for fear that this will not work either. Thanks for any advice

Win2usb could see my pcie drive OK. Did you have it formatted to NTFS ? It should appear in windows disk management and if windows can see it Win2usb should also.
Winclone has never worked properly for me. The problem is that I cannot boot into Windows after cloning the BOOTCAMP partition to my PCIE drive. It just gives me a blank screen and after a while shuts down the Mac. Tim has been issuing lots of beta updates to Winclone but none of them have fixed my problem as yet.

I ended up installing a fresh copy of windows on the PCIE drive, installing the apple bootcamp drivers and installing other drivers to fix problems displayed in device manager. Once you have it working you can copy any files you need from the Apple BOOTCAMP partition to your PCIE BOOTCAMP partition. It is a nightmare and a shame that Winclone does not work correctly right now. The most annoying thing to me is that Apple charge like wounded bulls for the Mac Pro 2019 hardware and then refuse to enhance Bootcamp Assistant to allow installation on an internal or external drive.

Good Luck,

Noel.

Hi Noel,

thanks for the reply. Couldn’t get WINtoUSB to see the drive while it was on the PCIE card, not sure why.

So pulled the drive off the PCIE card and put it in a USB enclosure. At that point I could follow the guide posted here. However no luck, didn’t show as bootable. I now read the Samsung QVO may have issues booting on the new Mac Pro. May try a different drive. I have several hours in this now, this is harder than it should be…

If its any consolation it took me hours to do it with aid from google. The other annoyance I had was I installed MacDrive Pro so that I could access my SoftRaid volumes from Windows. MacDrive Pro crashes windows and there is no way of recovering without a recovery boot USB and a Win7 backup (which silly me did not have). I had to repeat the entire process again. Incidentally MacDrive (not Pro) does work allowing you to access Mac formatted volumes.

Noel.

Noel Hi,

I’ve just created a new post before locating your post here: Boot Camp Windows 10 Pro BSOD - System Exception Thread Not Handled - failed at AppleLowerFilter.sys

I’ve got a Mac Pro 2019 and experienced similar problems to you. However Winclone 8 Standard did copy and migrate the image successfully to a PCIe SSD card in the Sonnet adaptor. My problem which no-one else seems to report is the BSOD as you’ll see in my post, any ideas on a solution?

After migrating to an ‘external’ SSD successfully using Wincone 8 Standard I now have 2 Windows showing up when booting on my Mac Pro with the option key pressed? One seems to offer an option to press f8 the other loads Windows 10 Pro? Also the reason for getting Winclone 8 was the new feature to inject a changed .sys file into Windows 10 Pro. After installing Apple’s Windows Support Software I have been getting a weird BSOD stating System Exception Thread No Handled message with the comment failed at ‘AppleLowerFilter.sys’. As it’s incredibly obscure about how using an Apple keyboard one can boot into safe mode without getting Windows to load first? Of course with this continual failure to load Windows, I cannot access the Windows Start menu to be able to reboot into Safe Mode by holding the shift key? Are you aware of this problem and a solution? I have asked Apple who, after much toing and froing, are now at least approaching their engineers. I’m not holding my breath for their reply as this was raised over a week ago? is there anyway we could talk via either Facetime, Skype or Zoom as this would save a lot of time? Initially after migrating my Boot Camp to a dedicated PCIe 500Gb partition using Winclone I thought the problem had gone away as for the first 3 times I loaded Windows there was no BSOD. Now it has returned!

Tim Hi,

I append below the reply I sent to Noel. Can you assist me please?

Noel Hi,

I’ve just created a new post before locating your post here: Boot Camp Windows 10 Pro BSOD - System Exception Thread Not Handled - failed at AppleLowerFilter.sys

I’ve got a Mac Pro 2019 and experienced similar problems to you. However Winclone 8 Standard did copy and migrate the image successfully to a PCIe SSD card in the Sonnet adaptor. My problem which no-one else seems to report is the BSOD as you’ll see in my post, any ideas on a solution?

After migrating to an ‘external’ SSD successfully using Wincone 8 Standard I now have 2 Windows showing up when booting on my Mac Pro with the option key pressed? One seems to offer an option to press f8 the other loads Windows 10 Pro? Also the reason for getting Winclone 8 was the new feature to inject a changed .sys file into Windows 10 Pro. After installing Apple’s Windows Support Software I have been getting a weird BSOD stating System Exception Thread No Handled message with the comment failed at ‘AppleLowerFilter.sys’. As it’s incredibly obscure about how using an Apple keyboard one can boot into safe mode without getting Windows to load first? Of course with this continual failure to load Windows, I cannot access the Windows Start menu to be able to reboot into Safe Mode by holding the shift key? Are you aware of this problem and a solution? I have asked Apple who, after much toing and froing, are now at least approaching their engineers. I’m not holding my breath for their reply as this was raised over a week ago? is there anyway we could talk via either Facetime, Skype or Zoom as this would save a lot of time? Initially after migrating my Boot Camp to a dedicated PCIe 500Gb partition using Winclone I thought the problem had gone away as for the first 3 times I loaded Windows there was no BSOD. Now it has returned!