Sorry for the late answer, never got an indication.
Source was Windows 7 on the internal boot camp partition on a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) with Winclone 4 or 5 standard on MacOS 10.10.5 some time in 2015.
The image was saved with verification on an external USB drive 2TB Toshiba DT8320 that has worked fine since then for occasional back up, and the attempt to restore was from the exact same location.
Target a fresh internal (bootcamp) partition on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020 2GHz Quad-Core i5) with Winclone 8 on MacOS 10.15.5
5.) 6.) The target Windows partition was made and appeared as expected in Disk Utility, and was changed by Winclone 8 before restore began, both according to the quality instructions on this site. After the error message, the target drive partition appeared in disk utility afterwards, so I could format it again for a new run.
7.) As the source and target has different HW, I did not attempt booting windows troubleshooting, as the plan was to inject necessary drivers before doing that, also as per the instructions on this site about how to do that.
After seeing this issue had never been resolved and batteling with this for a couple of days (different target image sizes etc.), I had to give it up. Turned out I had a VMware image from the same time, that I can unfortunately only run as a virtual machine but better than nothing.
In the end I installed boot camp from scratch, and had no trouble with backing up and restoring this new install with Winclone 8 standard, to the same external drive. Winclone 8 was bought for the restore that failed, and I am not using Winclone again, but I am still interested in knowing why it did not work. I hope others have better luck.