Restore Image - stuck at "extracting file data" still happening in v10

I’m seeing the same issue that other users have reported previously with a restore from a Winclone image stuck at the “Extracting file data” stage near the end of the process. I originally attempted Volume to Volume cloning but was stopped by the block size mismatch, since I was trying to clone from a 144.24GB internal partition to a 200GB partition on an external SSD. I then created a file image and have tried multiple times to use it to restore to the 200GB partition but it stalls at the same point each time.

Specs:

• MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
  • Processor 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 with 16GB RAM/1TB SSD
  • MacOS Monterey version 12.1
  • SanDisk external SSD 2TB
  • Winclone 10.0 (50054)

Looking at other threads Winclone 8 stuck at restore image and Restore Image stuck at “extracting file data” I don’t see any resolution. These were 2-3 years ago, so it’s very concerning to me that this problem doesn’t appear to have been resolved.

Last 3 lines of the log says:
2021-11-22T12:57:08-05:00:Extracting file data, 90.000000% complete
2021-11-22T12:57:08-05:00:Done applying WIM image.
2021-11-22T12:57:11-05:00:Error mounting EFI on disk /dev/disk2

OK, solving my own problem here, I looked up that error message “Error mounting EFI…” and found this thread https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/how-to-fix-error-mounting-efi-on-disk-dev-disk-errors/

I had to reformat my SSD, which was itself a bit tricky.

1. Using Disk Utility, erase the drive and format as MacOS Extended Journaled with GUID Partition Map.
  2. Partition the drive into two volumes, both with APFS, setting the size of the first volume to the desired size of the Bootcamp drive. Apply.
  3. Change the format of the Bootcamp volume to FAT.

After doing that, the diskutil list command showed the right volume structure with the EFI volume. I was able to restore a Winclone image to the Bootcamp volume without a problem.

Now to see if it will boot.

Wouldn’t boot, ran into INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.

Went through the steps here: https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/resolving-inaccessible_boot_device-error-after-restoring-winclone-image/

No joy.

I was able to do the driver installation as shown in the thread above, but I’m still getting the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. Brick wall at this point.